New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trajectory past 1000 yards?
 Login/Join

<travis20032003>
posted
How do yall know your trajectory past 1k yards? Are you target shooting to get the drop or are you getting it from a ballistic program?
Thanks [Confused]

<eldeguello>
posted
Most of us don't bother much with distances much beyond the Creedmore Range of 1100 yards......We leave the 1800 and 2200 ranges to our British brethren. [Big Grin]

<Fergus Bailey>
posted
Go try http://internet.cybermesa.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj_basic/traj_basic.html

This is a very accurate program, as long as you know the BC of the bullet and the velocity of your load. Will calculate drop out to 2000 yards.

Fergus

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fergus Bailey:
Go try http://internet.cybermesa.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj_basic/traj_basic.html

This is a very accurate program, as long as you know the BC of the bullet and the velocity of your load. Will calculate drop out to 2000 yards.

Fergus

WOW!!!!! Just tried it, nice! Easy to use, too! Wish I had that program on my
'puter!!!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is, you need to shoot at the distance you want to hit at. All bullets shoot different. What you get with a computer generated table is a computer generated table. B.C. will change with range and the slightest of vel. changes. Also density altitude. etc., etc., My advise is shoot it and compare vs. the table and the table will be wrong. Considering you are shooting past 500-600 yd.s. Short distance-who cares about B.C. But when you get to 2000, then factor the coriallis effect, spin drift and on. If you want to hit it, shoot it first.

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything I want to kill beyond a 1,000 yards, I'll just mail them a letter with anthrax spores inside. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually we call for an air strike but just for fun we shoot our .50's at the Nocona Mile in North Texas. Sometimes longer. Tried a Leica Vector that belonged to a SEAL Team 5 guy a couple weeks ago and ranged out to 3500 Meters. Now we gotta try that.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Anything I want to kill beyond a 1,000 yards, I'll just mail them a letter with anthrax spores inside. [Roll Eyes]

50 BMG is faster than postal service , see immediate result. [Wink]

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote