THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    243 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical Rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to get my son an solid/accurate 243 for his college graduation. I was looking through the Ruger website and found thier Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical Rifle. I've never seen one of these in the flesh and don't know anything about them except the minimal info on Ruger's website.

I sounds like it could be a good rifle; however, I'd like to get comments from folks that have owned or fondled one of these rifles.

Thanks.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a photo will help with solicit some comments.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a little heavier barrel than their sporter barrels..it is a heavy magnum contoured one...the stock is a Hogue Rubber stock...with Two front sling releases, the second for a Bi Pod..

I have essentially put together one much like it out of a regular Ruger originally chambered in 243, but I went with a 22.250 chambering with a fast 1 in 7 twist... a stainless 24 in heavy magnum Pac Nor barel...

I have both a Hogue Rubber stock for it and also a Boyd's Gray Laminate stock...

I built mine to be a long range walking varminter.. a lot guys might consider it a little heavy for carrying around deer hunting..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff--Your son should like the .243. My son in law, grandson and me have used them for years and taken a bunch of deer. They work great. Many will say they are marginal at best on deer and you have to use a premium bullet. Hogwash. I use the cheaper Winchester bulk packed 100 grainer and it's plenty. The bullet is comparable to the lower priced Remington core-lokt. I would also take a look at the CZ in .243. Except for the darned backwards safety, I really like them.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can't vouch for the Hawkeye Tac, but I have a MKII Target with the heavy 26" barrel and it will shoot sub-1/4 MOA groups with 105gr Amax. I have not tried the bergers yet, don't know if they will shoot with the 1:9 barrel. It is my favorite rifle, I have no complaints.

If you put enough rounds down range the enemy is bound to run in to one sooner or later.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ala "By God" Bama | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote