THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best caliber to convert to 260 poll

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best caliber to convert to 260 poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking into a potential winter project in 260.

Question:
What's the best caliber to form 260? If you want explain your answer

Choices:
7mm-08
Quit trying to be cheap and just buy 260 brass

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have thought of this same scenario and because I own all the other calibers too, I will bite the bullet and purchase .260 brass.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I've been loading for three different 260's this past year. I use Nosler brass for my personal rifle and have no less than 15 different MOA loads. For my daughter and friend I use Remington brass which is fine as long as you expect to cull a few pieces for various reasons. On my bench I currently have two pieces of brass with elongated primer holes. Expect to pay a premium for the Nosler brass.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the .243 and 7-08 so I'd probably make it out of .308 brass if I was going cheap. However I like proper headstamps so I'd bite the bullet. That brass will last you a long time so why not buy the proper cartridge to start with.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Do it right, resize Lapua 243 brass.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The difference visually between a 243/260 or a 260/7mm-08 is too small. Use the proper brass with the correct headstamp.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
358 winchester, if you can't get that then use 338 Federal or 308 in a pinch.

Most factory chambers are cut grossly oversized in the neck area. Use the largest diameter cases that you can find so that you get thick necks when you squeeze them down. Then you can turn them to fit your chamber.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get the marked brass it might make things easier should you get one of the others,but if you have no intrest in the others use 308.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or buy Norma, $$$, but very high quality. Are you shooting long range target? If not sort the remmy, possibly lightly turn the neck and be done.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Serious shooters wanting to not turn, nor get any doughnuts, like 7/08 WW brass, that's my next route. Use RP and also FC 308 and 7/08.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
358 winchester, if you can't get that then use 338 Federal or 308 in a pinch.

Most factory chambers are cut grossly oversized in the neck area. Use the largest diameter cases that you can find so that you get thick necks when you squeeze them down. Then you can turn them to fit your chamber.

Fjold is onto something here. I wouldn't necessarily go as far as .358 or .338 brass, but using .308 (which has the added advantage of being both cheap and plentiful) isn't a bad idea. You will likely find that UNTURNED reformed .308 brass provides you with a better neck fit in your chamber, thus potentially better accuracy. I've used plenty of .308 necked to .243 quite happily and successfully.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote