Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Recommended twist is 1 in 10, so, yes, the 9 twist will work, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered about the choices Remington makes for its VS and VSSF models. I've lusted after a VS(SF) in 243 or 6mm Rem, but for whatever reason, these are only offered in the VLS. But I don't want a laminated stock. I want the HS Precision, and I want it without having to buy it in the aftermarket.

Today I found that not everyone feels the same way (obvious really, otherwise what I want would be offered). I was visiting my favourite place, and had just arranged to have a 308 LTR put aside for me, when casual conversation produced the 'I might have what you want' response. A few seconds later, I'm presented with a brand new HS Precision stocked Rem 700 varminter in 243. For whatever reason, a customer wanted a VSSF but with the laminate stock. The shop obliged (presumably for a price) by swapping stocks with a VLS. End result was the oddball that I was after. And even better....I get the HS stock, but it's costing VLS prices.

I'm going to take this rifle, but the only question I have, is will the 1:9.1 twist of this barrel handle the 105 Amax. A real bonus if it will....

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you should buy it ASAP.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, GREAT DEAL! Did you break the guy's hand reaching for it? I, like Cal have a 6mm VLS that regularly does those little .4's with several different bullets from 70-87 grains but really likes the 105AMax's!!! Has done several in the .2's using them so the 9 1/8" twist will work just fine! Good luck with the new rifle! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, why do I get up so early to read this thread and drink coffee. We went out this last weekend to check out the upcoming pheasant hunting and as luck would have it, to shoot a few dogs as well. My partner for the trip had brought his 243 along to shoot a little well he talked me into shooting it a little bit as well. A fine shooting rifle to say the least for being over twenty years old and not very well taken care of until Andy bought it. Sounds like the 6mm would make a good long range caliber to go with the 25-06 I have now, and a whole lot easier on the body....Hmmm a good winter project.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote