Find
Notify
Tools

250-3000
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hdxr750
posted
I still like the 250 Savage I used forever, Anyone using 110gr or larger in that caliber? I've had good luck with 85gr. and 95gr. how about you?

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 175 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have the 250 Savage in a Ruger RSI (International Style) and really like it. Back in the early 80's I managed to pick up a decent supply of the 100 gr Silvertips (loaded ammo) and just about everything I have hit with them hasn't went very far, maybe 2 to 3 feet straight down. I also have a 250 Savage Ack Imp that is quite the performer.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge! Of the two I have, both with 10" twist barrels, one shows obvious bullet tipping with 100 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 100 yards. I haven't tried those in the other. I'm also not loading them to .270 Winchester pressures either even though one is a Ruger single shot and the other is an FN '98 bolt rifle.

Both shoot well with the 75 gr Sierra and 80 gr Barnes TTSX. I'd prefer a heavier bullet too, but I figure the 80 gr TTSX at 3100 fps or so ought to work for pretty much anything I'd care to take with a .250 Savage.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve, I am surprised you are getting tipping with a 100-grain BT in a 1:10 twist barrel. My experience with the .250 Savage is with older Savage 99s with the earlier 1:14 twist barrel, and bullet stability fell off rapidly with most 100-grain bullets.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot everything from a sage rat to a Blue Wildebeest with mine (Rem 600 custom short heavy barrel). I have not ventured beyond 100gr for same reason. I use my 6.5x55 in that weight range.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 250 Savage bolt Guns built for both my sons. I hand load 110 grain Hornady Interbonds for one and 110 grain Nosler Accubonds in the other. They have provided excellent results on antelope,deer,pigs, sheep, and Axis. I am very happy with both bullets.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3, actually 4, 250-3000s, my son obsconded with one of them..

Ive shot lots of deer, half a dozen elk I guess, a bear, antelope, even plainsgame in Africa..Cut my teeth on a 25-35 and a 250 Savage.

Last year I and my grandson shot Mule deer with the 110 gr. Accubonds, and I shot whitetail in Texas with that bullet..Strangely enough my Savage mod 99 take down (1920ish) with a 1x14 inch twist will shoot any 100 gr. flat base bullet as well as the 117 gr. Horn RN flat base bullet, as well as the 75, to 95 gr. spritzers, all into under an inch for 3 shots and all to the same POI. I'll never part with that gun, shoots better groups than my heavy barrel bolt action 22-250 or my 222...You just have to try them to really know, the rest is BS....My 99F (1950ish) will shoot amost any bullet, and it has a 1x14 twist. I thought for years it was a 1x10 as most of that model are, it never knew it couldn't shoot long heavy bullets...

As to the 250 Savage WW factory stuff mentioned in a previous post by someone..I have 20 boxes of the old Winchester Western 100 gr. Silvertips, and 13 boxes of the old Rem corelokts I might sell if the money is right. I shoot mostly handloads. Yes, they do perform great on game of any kind.

The 110 Accubond shoots great in my Ruger bolt action and is the gun I used last year..Its is a tad too long for a Savage I suspect and would encroach into the powder space as the 99 rotary magazine is a tad short for such a bullet it appears to me..

My favorite deer caliber and my favorite saddle gun for my hunting style of following the rimrock and jump shooting deer. Also used many times for Texas Whitetail out of a blind.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Dad,
Curious as to what bullet you referring to..the ,257 110 gr. Hornady Interlock is a bullet with a soft tip designed for the Lever actions, not for bolt actions? Im sure you can shoot them in a bolt gun, but why I guess is my question,or have they come out with a bullet Im not familiar with? Confused

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this the bullet, it's definitely not intended for M94s.

https://www.hornady.com/bullet...-110-gr-interbond#!/

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Olarmy attached a link to the bullet I am loading in my oldest son's rifle. I have several boxes left. I hope "temporarily suspended" does not turn into discontinued. Either way I should not have to worry about it for several years. I first started loading this bullet back in 2010 or 2011. I was experiencing erratic performance from factory Winchester silver tips and decided to handload a better bullet. He first used the Interbond on the El Yeso ranch in New Mexico for Antelope in 2011.

I want to thank you for hooking me up with the owners on my antelope hunt back in 2004. I posted under a different name then, 54JNoll. You really helped me fulfill a lifetime goal of my fathers.

So we have corresponded before but it was a long time ago. I have been away from the boards for years. Upon coming back I could not get my old profile to work. I'll PM you to reintroduce myself.

I had a great time on the hunt you helped set up for me that several years later I worked out with the owners to go back and do a 3 generation hunt with my son and father.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im still trying to place that bullet as it should be a good one, but the only one I could find was the rubber tipped newbie in that weight..OH well Ill get it right with a little work..and buy me some if they don't discontinue it..

Tom I remember you well, glad you had a good hunt, those are nice people..That country has some humongas Mule Deer btw, but they are far and few between. That sand hill country with sacawesti makes for big bucks, That big deer area runs from Hobbs South to around Midland and Odessa Texas..hardest hunting Ive ever experienced. I hunted with old man Carraway and his son Alan, but with them all hunting was horseback..Thats horse country when the big bucks are 25 miles aprart..Good to have you back on AR..Sent uou a PM btw.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, awesome area. Lived in Portales for 5 years. Spent lots of time in those areas. Fort Summer and Ruidoso were regular visits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: if you are serious, looks like the 257 110gr Interbonds are available at Midway...

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...boat-tail-box-of-100

One of Us
posted Hide Post
speer makes a 100gr controlled expansion BT.
it does everything the Hornady interbond does but at 29$ a box.
it's accurate enough and does the job when it gets there.
and handles the 25-06 speeds no problem.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, IME the 100gr Speer BT is pretty soft at 25/06 velocities (i.e. 3100-3300fps), but works better at 250/257 velocities.

It is not a bonded bullet like the 110gr Interbond.

One of Us
Picture of hdxr750
posted Hide Post
I guess I was thinking of the Sierra 117 gr. Game King. I'm sorry

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 175 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the nosler 110 gr. interbond in my Ruger and it kills well indeed..The Savages work best with 85, 90 and 100 gr. bullets but only the flat based ones as a rule..As to performance on game with the 250-3000, the speer, Hornady, WW Silvertips, and Rem Corelokts all work very well. The 117 gr. Hornady Round nose flat base works well in my Savage 99s, on deer and elk. The 1x14 twists seem to work with flat base bullets but won't shoot boat tails worth a flip in my guns. Im sure its bullet length as opposed to bullet weight that's the culprit. The ogive makes a difference also as with the proper ogive and round nose the 117 gr. Hornady is some shorter than the Spitzer and Spitzer boat tails..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
nosler 110 gr. interbond

Nosler Interbond??? Ray, you're stayin' up too late. You need to get to bed and get a little more sleep!!
wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
how about Accubond??, Roll Eyes and your right I need to quit staying up late but hey it doesn't get dark in Idaho until l0:30 or there abouts.

Although my 99s with a 1x14" twist all shoot the 117 Horn RN Interlocks, none will shoot 117, 120 gr. boattails, in fact they won't shoot many boat tails until you get down around 85 grs...the heavier boat tails tend to keyhole.

Makes me wonder if its bullet length as opposed to bullet weight, even the Nosler book states in bold print, that the listed bullets won't shoot in a 1x14 twist Savage 99..Not always the case..

Bottom line is do yourself a favor and test them, some will and some won't..Ive had several that wouldn't shoot anything heavier than the 90 gr. Sierra HP, a super accurate bullet btw in any 25 caliber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
olarmy has a point about the velocity.

I don't push my 0-6's quite that fast, and the lower velocity's of the 250/257 are better suited to the Speer.
at 3-K the speer does open pretty quick but it really shortens the tracking, and it exits which is one of my main concerns.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive found the Speers such as the 130 gr. are outstanding in both the 7x57 and 284 on deer and antelope, my favorite bullet as is the 100 gr. Speer flat base in my 250-3000, I get a high percentage of instant kills, short runs, and large exit holes and lots of blood on the ground..These Speere cup and cores seem to work better than premium bullets on light big game..On elk I like a tougher bullet, but I don't hunt elk these days with my 25s, I prefer the .338 Win. The lighter guns still work just like the used to, but I don't have to pass up those 300 and 400 yard shots with the .338 Win.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120