Find
Notify
Tools

This just pisses me off
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bore sighting will get you on at 25 yds. From there on you need to do your own fine-tuning.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Ruger Americans and 2 Mossberg Patriots that I use as “beaters” for hunting and riding around the farm in my Polaris Rangers. Bumpy, dusty and/or muddy chore.
They are all remarkably accurate with nothing fancy off the shelf ammo, mostly Remington Core-lokts.
All were bought at Academy for under $400. I am amazed by them.

As a result of the availability of these inexpensive, accurate, and reliable rifles it has become difficult here in Louisiana to sell any high grade or custom/semi custom firearms.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I have 2 Ruger Americans and 2 Mossberg Patriots that I use as “beaters” for hunting and riding around the farm in my Polaris Rangers. Bumpy, dusty and/or muddy chore.
They are all remarkably accurate with nothing fancy off the shelf ammo, mostly Remington Core-lokts.
All were bought at Academy for under $400. I am amazed by them.

As a result of the availability of these inexpensive, accurate, and reliable rifles it has become difficult here in Louisiana to sell any high grade or custom/semi custom firearms.

David Christman and a couple other coonass builders will disagree with you. Yes, your rifles will kill a deer.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and had a fair share of custom and semi custom rifles. Christman is a fabulous builder but he ain’t no coonass, redneck more likely.

Very few folks here know what an Argentine 1909 mauser is or a VZ 24 mauser either. I have both. They think you just sporterized an old mauser. They don’t appreciate Super Grades either. Anything over 30-06 is a cannon too.

The classifieds on AR is a tough sell, you almost have to give it away, so keeping my nice rifles til the market improves. In the mean time cheap and accurate is what I tote on the farm.

So, at age 73 I’m done with custom and high grade rifles.

BTW, I had a super nice Al Biesen built on a pre 64 in .458 that was terrific but didn’t shoot or function any better than a Whitworth that I still have.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I have and had a fair share of custom and semi custom rifles. Christman is a fabulous builder but he ain’t no coonass, redneck more likely.

Very few folks here know what an Argentine 1909 mauser is or a VZ 24 mauser either. I have both. They think you just sporterized an old mauser. They don’t appreciate Super Grades either. Anything over 30-06 is a cannon too.

The classifieds on AR is a tough sell, you almost have to give it away, so keeping my nice rifles til the market improves. In the mean time cheap and accurate is what I tote on the farm.

So, at age 73 I’m done with custom and high grade rifles.

BTW, I had a super nice Al Biesen built on a pre 64 in .458 that was terrific but didn’t shoot or function any better than a Whitworth that I still have.

You're a kid. I have a nice VZ33 that I need to make a decision on, either sell it or turn it into something. It is an older custom, but not drilled for scope rings.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Jules Winfield, “Sewer rat may taste like punkin’ pie, but I’ll never know, ‘cause I’ll never eat the filthy motherf#cker.”

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on Michael R, and I'll never be seen with a cheap gun, beat up yes but honest wear and quality gun..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Your Ruger was actually a result of them using Wilson barrels before 1990; the lowest of the low quality barrels. In that case it was because Wilson's QC was terrible.

I purchased a bunch of Wilson match barrel blanks, when they $80 a tube, and talked to Wilson barrels. Wilson can and does make good barrels. And they made the absolute best barrel Ruger could buy, at $15.00 apiece.

Don't blame Wilson for Ruger buying the cheapest barrels they could find. The fault lay in Ruger's specifications, pricing, and subcontractor management. If Ruger wanted a better barrel, they could have got it, but it would have cost more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger American all weather stainless steel 308 with a 18" barrel on it. I paid a total of $300.00 for it. Gunsmith who did the transfer didn't charge Veterans for transfers if they had a valid CCW.

I had a bunch of 150gr FMJ ammo that I blasted with from my Armalite AR10. That cheap Ruger would shoot that FMJ surplus ammo into .75" groups. I bought a bunch of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr and it would consistently shoot it into .5". All I could do was laugh because it would shoot as good as my Remington 700 that I paid over double for.

I can throw that Ruger on the front of my ATV and could care less if it's pouring down rain, snow, or dusty as can be. That's the reason I bought it for when the weather is just nasty as can be and I decided to throw the gortex gear on and go hunt. I hate doing that with my other rifles that have nice wood stocks on them.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is becoming a classic. I have read over it more than one and I laugh every time.

Its taught me at least one thing: I am never owning a Blaser Smiler

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't bad mouth the Blaser because I have never shot one, but my thoughts on the matter was when I see SO many for sale in new condition I just assume that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I treated myself to a Blaser this year. 257 Weatherby, 3 shots touching for zero. LGS guy said all he has seen shoot extremely well. Got 3 dead deer at various distances to prove it. Nothing else I have comes close to the accuracy of the Blaser. I love accurate rifles.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love accurate rifles.

That's a significant part of owning firearms for sure! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well, I can't bad mouth the Blaser because I have never shot one, but my thoughts on the matter was when I see SO many for sale in new condition I just assume that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.

I called bs on this. Where have you seen so many like new blasers for sale ? There are few if any ever offered on ar and the ones on blaserbud don't last long. There are few new blasers for sale at Eurooptics - the largest us dealer of blaser.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hilarious. The cheapest gun I own is a single action heritage arms revolver, that I paid $125 for, with an extra .22 mag cylinder.

The front sight is canted a little to the right, but I don’t want to mess with it because it is pot metal and I am worrried it will fall off.

That pistol will knock down steel plates at 25 yards with boring reguLarity, and does it better than than some rich guys with $3000 1911’s.

Last dude that called it bullshit I asked if he wanted to race for pink slips, that shut him up.

It is absolutely the most accurate pistol I have ever owned, as long as you aim at 2;00 to hit center.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Your Ruger was actually a result of them using Wilson barrels before 1990; the lowest of the low quality barrels. In that case it was because Wilson's QC was terrible.

I purchased a bunch of Wilson match barrel blanks, when they $80 a tube, and talked to Wilson barrels. Wilson can and does make good barrels. And they made the absolute best barrel Ruger could buy, at $15.00 apiece.

Don't blame Wilson for Ruger buying the cheapest barrels they could find. The fault lay in Ruger's specifications, pricing, and subcontractor management. If Ruger wanted a better barrel, they could have got it, but it would have cost more.

I am sure there was some rugers with crappy barrels, but everyone that someone said wouldn’t shoot either would drive tacks with hand loads or premium factory ammo. The only one that wouldn’t was a .22-250 with about 8,000 Rounds through it.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote