Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 need help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
I have a 700 VLS that I am having difficulty with.

Using Norma brass, CCI BR primers, Varget 39 grs. 40gr BT's.

shooting about a 1.5 group I have adjusted seating depth all over the place. The best I can get it maybe a 1 inch group 4 shots. Have adjusted powder up and down with no effect.

I normaly use FED primers but the only ones I have are MAG. for my 7STW. thought they might be a bit much. The CCI's are about 5 yrs. old and from another experiment.

I have also shot the Shilen 52gr in front of 39grs. of IMR-4350 and they grouped around .750 for 4 shots.

What should I expect, this small cal. is new to me. Currently I have 2 280's that on my best day will, 3 shot around .250 and a 7STW that will do the same. They were all real finicky as to seating depth. They all use CTBT's thats why I am using the BT's in the 22-250.

The gun carries a L VX-III 6.5-20 set on 20 so I can see what I am doing.

Any and all suggestions welcome,

Thanks

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been trying varget in my 243. Maybe it is just me and my gun. But I find it is a very finiky powder. It shoots 3 inch groups one load and then 2 inch the next and then all of a sudden it shoots a nice tight .5 incher in as little as a grain difference in powder. It might just be me or my gun. I have switched to H4895 and I will see what that does this weekend. But personnaly I think its just a matter of finding the right load with varget.

Mark

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<six bits>
posted
Montana

In my 22-250 with 40 gr have had better gruops with H-380.
Max load is 41.0 grains @ book of 3856 fps
Also 4895 powder.
You are 1/2 a gr below max now.any pressure signs??.
Check out Hodgon
Never had a lot of luck with CCI primers.Remington and Fed.worked better.
Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use VarGet in my .17 Rem, .223, .22-250 and .243. I've had excellent results as far as velocity and accuracy are concerned. It sounds like you have covered playing with your seating depth and powder charges maybe your rifle just dosen't like the 40 grainers. I have noticed at least with my rifles that the more VarGet I use, accuracy increases. This may sound crazy but it's just the results I have gotten. My .22-250 is loaded with 41.2 gr. VarGet behind a 40 gr. V-Max(moly) and I'm also using a CCI BR2 primer. O.A.L is 2.350.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you first try some different bullet weights , make , shape etc. My .22-250 that I recently aquired will not shoot the Hornady 45 grainers , but groups like hell with the 40 gr V-Maxes, 55 gr Sierra BT and some others . Some rifles just come together with a specific powder charge seating depth , and primer . Thats what makes so so much , is'nt it [Big Grin]

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the bedding after you try a couple more loads I brought a rem. 300 mag that would not shoot into 6 in at a 100. Free float the barrel glass bedded the action. The last group I shot with was 3 shots 300 yards 3/4 of and inch. They had so much up wards pressure on the fore end tip you could actualy see the barrel move up wards when you tighen the actions screws.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I too just got through messing with a new 22-250 (though this is hardly my first one!) Most have come to shoot quite well without much problem, but some are fussy.

Varget is a good powder, being good for this cartridge as are H 4895 and N 140.

My first suggestion would be to try other bullets. I have a .223 Remington that will not shoot Nosler 40 grain BT's worth a darn, but it shoots very small groups with Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullets.

Also be sure to try some 50 or even 55 grain bullets. Maybe this gun just does not like the bullets you have tried.

And while bullet seating depth can sometimes make a great difference, as you have seen it does not always make much difference. I would just load the bullets out pretty close to the lands and go with that till you are ready to really fine tune a load.

I have owned a number of 22-250's that shot best with H 4895, but my latest custom built rifle shoots its best with either Varget or N140 behind a 50 grain V-Max bullet.

Keep at it, you will find a combination it likes.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<sakoguy>
posted
I've gotten great results using 36.0 grains of H-380 behind a Nosler 50 grain BT with a WLR primer in Norma cases. Bullets were seated to an OAL of 2.365". Velocity (measured yesterday) was a mild 3590-3610 fps. Bear in mind that due to the smaller volume of the Norma cases, velocity is just a tad higher than the same load in a Winchester or Remington case. Rifle used was my older Weatherby Vanguard VGX with 24" barrel. I think it is 1-14" twist, but may be 1-12". This load shoots <.5" groups and I'm by no means the greatest marksman.
-SAKOGUY

<dennis hepner>
posted
montana,
what i would do is free float the barrel full length, in my experience most remingtons don't have to be glass bedded to shoot.
here is a load that has shot extremely well in several rifles, 35.5gr. imr4895 55gr sierra spitzer, cci br primer, in win cases.seated .010"to.020" from the lands
this is about max and you should start out a little lower. should turn up 3700-3750fps
dennis hepner

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

So far 39gr of IMR 4350 behind a Shilen 52gr with CCI BR primers is the best. Tried Varget with these bullets and it looked like a shotgun.

Will be picking up some 380 and some 40gr. A-max's this week to test.

Above load shoots extremly tight with one problem,
first shot is always .5 inch left and about .375 high the next 3 shots are one hole dead on, with first shot out of a cold barrel. Barrel is free floated, what's up never had this problem before.

Could it be the way I hold it, I have shot it many times, off of two different rest same thing. I do not hold or touch the forearm at all when shooting.

I like a challenge, My other guns were fun but this is becoming a nightmare if the H-380 and the Amax's don't work this puppy gets a new barrel.

Wayne [Big Grin]

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say go to a 55g. My 250 loved 35.5 of H380 and the sierra 55g HPBT's. This worked al the way to 37g but 35.5 was the most accurate

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Montana:
[QB]I have a 700 VLS that I am having difficulty with.

Using Norma brass, CCI BR primers, Varget 39 grs. 40gr BT's.

shooting about a 1.5 group I have adjusted seating depth all over the place. The best I can get it maybe a 1 inch group 4 shots. Have adjusted powder up and down with no effect.

I normaly use FED primers but the only ones I have are MAG. for my 7STW. thought they might be a bit much. The CCI's are about 5 yrs. old and from another experiment.

I have also shot the Shilen 52gr in front of 39grs. of IMR-4350 and they grouped around .750 for 4 shots.

What should I expect, this small cal. is new to me. Currently I have 2 280's that on my best day will, 3 shot around .250 and a 7STW that will do the same. They were all real finicky as to seating depth. They all use CTBT's thats why I am using the BT's in the 22-250.

The gun carries a L VX-III 6.5-20 set on 20 so I can see what I am doing.

Any and all suggestions welcome,

Have you tried cleaning the gun? In my experience, dirty guns are a huge culprit when it comes to problems with accuracy. Also, are you certain that your rest is completely stable?

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I agree with your conclusion and some of the other posters. With 50 to 55 grain bullets and either 380 or 4895 (either brand) your rifle should show some promise. If it doesn't there is a problem somewhere.