New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Rem SPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, here we go again. Every time I think I have all the calibers I want some one comes out with new ones that appeal to me. More than that If I had waited to build my 6.5 PPC until this 6.5 came out I would have a rifle I could get factory brass for. Anyone have any comments on these two new calibers.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I read an article about a month ago that talked about the 6.5 grendel, and there is a lot of talk about the 6.8 remington as well.

Both should do a good job on thin skinned light-med game at respectable ranges with minimal recoil. The Remington offering really sounds great because it has an opportunity to be available on an OTC basis. The 6.5 grendel might not be so easy to find loaded ammo for, but cases are everywhere, and a simple resizing would do.

Both have better trajectory than my 30-30 and could take any game I care to hunt. I'm just hoping Remington chambers their Model 7 in the new .270 Not-Magnum. I won't hold my breath for a Mini-30 in 6.5 Grendel...but then again, and aftermarket barrel is a possibility.

Any news on what cartridge specs will be available for the Remington? It was mentioned 3 bullet styles, for sure there will be a 115 grain Match with maybe a 115FMJ value line and a 130 grain SP, or 90 grain BT?

posted Hide Post
6.5 Grendel Brass, Ammo, Dies, Rifles and Uppers Begin Shipping To Consumers March 1. 6.5 Grendel brass is manufactured by Lapua who prominantly displayed the brass and a rifle in their booth at that SHOT show earlier this month.

http://www.competitionshooting.com currently offers the 6.5 Grendel products for online ordering.

In addition, Midway is planning to add the 6.5 Grendel to it's product line. Cabelas has been and currently offers Alexander Arms products and I am sure will be adding the 6.5 Grendel shortly.

posted Hide Post
OK... The 6.5 Grendel is new to me. Is it the same a 6.5 PPC?
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
JP The article said it was based on the 6mm PPC case with the shoulder moved forward. I'm going to see how close it is to my 6.5 PPC and consider rechambering.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Keep me posted with what you find. I am also interested in the 6.5 PPC. What is your thoughts on this cartridge now that you have one? What kind of velocites are you getting?
Thanks, John

one of us
posted Hide Post
JP, I haven't received my dies yet so haven't shot any through the chrony. A fellow who sometimes posts here said he was getting 2800 fps with the 120 gr. Looking at the article in "Rifle Shooter" that seems reasonable.

posted Hide Post
Hello all,

The 6.5 Grendel has the shoulder pushed forward and a shorter neck then the 6.5 PPC. I spent years shooting the 6.5 PPC as part of my contribution to development of the 6.5 Grendel.

Depending on what brass you are using to make a 6.5 PPC (SAKO, Norma or Lapua), the 6.5 Grendel brass made by Lapua offers 2-3 grains of increased powder capacity. Taking a fired 6.5 Grendel case against a fired 6.8 SPC case, the 6.5 Grendel has 1.5 grains more powder capacity, using AA2460 as a reference powder, then the 6.8 SPC. The measured H20 capacity of the 6.5 Grendel case is 35.0 grains.

The 6.5 Grendel likes AA2460, TAC, VV N135 and VV N530. Other powders include H335, H322, AA2015, and Benchmark.

If you have 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 PPC questions, feel free to email at akb@competitionshooting.com or you can call Competition Shooting Sports at 281-330-0352.