New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate of Twist Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im getting ready to buy a new 22-250 in either a Rem 700vs or a savage with the new accu trigger if i can find one. The rem has a 1/14 rate of twist and the savage has a 1/12. I want to try and shoot a 50-55grain bullet. Which rate of twist do you think would be more accurate? I havnt had very good luck with remingtons accuracy but ive great accuracy with savages what are your opinions.

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With that size of bullet the twist will not be what decides accuracy. The Savages seem to be a little more consistant than Remington in shooting qualities. Both should shoot great and if the Savage is better it will be by a small margin.

Posts: 23 | Location: Seattle, Wa. | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
I would go for the the 1:12 twist. You will get better results with longer bullets with it while it will shoot shorter bullets as well as the 1:14 twist. With premium bullets, terminal performance on game (as opposed to varmints), will also be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey Hunter,
The Shilen website would seem to suggest either twist rate as being ok. [Wink] Gary T.
http://www.shilen.com/calibers.htm

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 55 for years out of my stock 1-14 but went to a 1-12 so I could shoot 60's. Either will work but 55 is the max for the 14.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote