Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have a question for you 257 Roberts owners. I've decided to build my petite wife a new ultra light rifle using this cartridge for her birthday. I have a light weight Hi-Tech stock and going to install a slim 21" barrel. The barrel raises the question.

I have numerous other "improved" type chambering and I was wondering if you thought the 21" would be long enough to see any benefit from an improved case. While I have no direct experience with this particular cartridge I'm leaning towards NOT going with an improved chamber.

I would appreciate you thoughts especially if you have first hand experience.

Paul

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ramrod: I have both a 257 and a 257AI. The are both great cartridges. The AI should give you about 100fps more velocity than good handloads in the 257. You have the hassle of fireforming the brass. But once you do, it lasts a long time. I find myself using the AI more than the standard version. Why? Well because the 120 gr bullet is going 3050 fps rather than 2950. I know.... I'll probably never notice the difference in the field. I'd probably recommend a standard 257 for the wife. But only you can decide if the extra zip is worth it. Good luck, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider the improved version. You can still use standard rounds in it and if you decide you wanted the extra fps, you'd be able to do it.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have several Improved cartridges several of my own design. I know that the 257 Imp should give about 200fps and that if the chamber is cut correctly I can fire standard loads without a problem.

I don't think I made my question clear. My question is do you think the 21" barrel would allow me to see any real gain in velocity? I'm concerned it is too short to allow the extra powder to be used except as a muzzle blast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod: I don't have any data to back this up, but my opinion would be that the difference in the amount of velocity lost between the standard and the AI would be so small as to be insignificant. Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340,
I think there would be some velocity gain going with an AI-- I don't really know how much. I have a 15" encore in 257AI, with 48gr. H4350, 115 NBT velocity is a little higher than 2750fps. 100 NBT 2850fps, 85 NBT 3000fps.

I also have a 257 roberts (standard)in a ruger #1 26" barrel. 117gr Hornady SST's @ 3150fps, 120gr speer 3000fps, 100gr (Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler) all at just over 3200fps.

Seems to me, by making it an AI; it would be similar to adding 3 or 4 inches to the barrel.
Thats just my guess.

[ 06-11-2003, 23:37: Message edited by: RAS 323 ]

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, I'd go with the standard Roberts and get a light 22" bbl. as I seriously doubt an extra inch will handicap the missus. The NOISE level at 21" from the Roberts will be annoying... I speak from experience! As a comparison, the bore volume / case capacity of the standard 257 is about identical to the 300 WSM, 270 Win and 280 Rem. For those three 22" is minimum in my book.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize the .257Roberts is not going to turn a shooter into a spastic cripple, you might consider a super light weight stock and as you say, a "thin barrel." You're might be taking your desire for a light rifle one step too far. You said you're building this for your wife. It may end up with a fairly fierce kick. I have a little Browning Micro-Medallion in .308Win. It has a thin 20' tube and barely weighs 6.0lbs. I can't even get it to stay in the cradle at the range. It has a
horrible jolt to it, and I'm a pretty hefty guy who's not recoil shy. It might be a bit much for her
unless you heft it up a bit. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ Cal, and doubt there will be any advantage in using the AI in a short barrel. Yeah, maybe a bit, but certainly not worth the trouble. Plain ol' Bob is a good cartridge(so is AI Bob). You'll gain more favor with your wife by putting together something that fits properly rather than trying to shave a few ounces here and there. I've got a 4.5 pound 30-30 that my wife shot ONCE. [Frown] She'll shoot skeet all day with my 12 ga. Beretta 686. HMMM [Cool]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments. I've decided to stay with the good ol 257 Bob.

Rick- I'm making no comments to the wife about how to get an effect increase of 3-4". Don't want her to think there are options. LOL

Brad- excellent point about the muzzle blast. That was one of my major concerns about going to the AI. Hope 1" won't make a difference because the barrel is already cut and crowned to 21".

Cal- I agree that too light might not be a good thing. The barrel is a light sporter cut off not a featherweight. The action is a 1909 M98 with full floorplate. The Hi-stock while very light seems to flex and soak up some of the recoil. I have used it on heavy caliber light rifles with excellent sucess.

Dan- I agree it isn't always the cartridge that defines the recoil. Of all my rifles the one that gets my attention the most is a ultralight Dakota Model 10 with a factory butt plate. I would rather sightin my 358 Norma. Her current rifle is a wood stock cut down to fit her that will accept a MKX barreled action. This allows her to switch from 22-250 up to 300wmag and all between all I have to do is drop in the recever and barrel. Bedding is close enough that accuracy has never been an issue. However with a 24" barrel and wood forarm they are very muzzle heavy. They work fine off the bench or from a stand but, are very difficult for her hold without support. The plan is to move the balance point back closer to the grip. The Hi-Tech stock will allow me to add some weight to change the point as needed. And it will be fitted with a nice 1" decelerator pad.

Thanks again for all your comments.

<eldeguello>
posted
No, I don't. Stick with the standard .257. It's plenty!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were building a rifle for "my wife", then I would go to the wonderfull little 250-3000, You can get all you need with that with a lot less recoil and blast...Let her try both calibers and I bet she likes the 250 Sav.

Easy to get 2800 FPS with any 100 gr. bullet out of that short barrel and 2700 with a 120 gr. bullet...but if you want to really impress her then load up some 90 gr. Barnes X at 3000 plus for near recoiless return...

And I'm a real 257 Robts. fan...I have used them both on game and can't tell any real difference.

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
The "57 mm" 257 Roberts might fill the magazine just right where the big enough 250 S. might not.

In any case put on a nice recoil pad and load the cartridge with lighter premium bullets. A faster powder might help some with the blast also. IMR 3031 comes to mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sav.99,
thats a pretty easy fix, lots of 250s out there in 98 Mauser and you can set them up to seat the bullet out real far, I always like that option....

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote