Find
Notify
Tools

35 gr. Hornady V-Max
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys,

We've been plunking the 35 gr. Hornady V-Max's downrange in our 22 Hornets with great satisfaction, great accuracy & some pretty impressive velocities outa the Hornets.

If that's just so much of a Good Thing I was considering loading some of them up in the .222 & .223 Remington for Shits & Giggles - just because.

Quick Load stats with Norma 200 & VV-N-130 are pretty impressive 3550-3700 fps. Anyone tried this yet or will I just get those "Pops" outa the muzzle as they disintigrate?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried bullets that light from any of the higher velocity 22 rifles. But, I have great luck with the 40 grainers out of a 223AI, 223 and 222 Rem.
Give 'em a try.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had marvelous performance from them in the Hornets for which they are designed. Even loaded down with Blue Dot loads to only 2500 fps, they absolutely disintegrate small varmints, as well as being extremely accurate.

I don't doubt that they would shoot reasonably well if pushed to the upper limits in a 222 or .223; since the targets you would shoot with them call for very frangible bullets to begin with, I doubt their "super-frangibility" would be a detriment at 3700 fps.

However, the little bullets have a rounder ogive, lower Sectional Density, and somewhat lower Ballistic Coefficient as compared to the 40 grainers which are made for the 222/223. I see no advantage in using the smaller bullet in these calibers as you will gain no additional range and will actually have a poorer trajectory at longer ranges.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Gerry

I was put off using 35gr Vmax in my 222 having read some posts a few years back. However, I had some left over from reloading for my Hornet and tried them with 16.2 gr of N110. (VihtaVuori recommended 16.2gr of N110 as the maximum for a 40gr bullet in the 222.) This combination is invariably very accurate (0.5 MOA)and has a POI about 0.5" above the zero for Sako 55gr. The 35gr Vmax cuts the sharpest holes in a target that I have ever seen.
This bullet is definately worth a try in your 222 rifle.

Regards...

...Titan

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded them to full velocity potential in teh .223, but with reduced blue dot loads they match the 22 hornet with suprising accuracy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Titan:
Hello Gerry

I was put off using 35gr Vmax in my 222 having read some posts a few years back. However, I had some left over from reloading for my Hornet and tried them with 16.2 gr of N110. (VihtaVuori recommended 16.2gr of N110 as the maximum for a 40gr bullet in the 222.) This combination is invariably very accurate (0.5 MOA)and has a POI about 0.5" above the zero for Sako 55gr. The 35gr Vmax cuts the sharpest holes in a target that I have ever seen.
This bullet is definately worth a try in your 222 rifle.

Regards...

...Titan

Could anyone suggest the velocity of this load? Using Remington cases and Federal 205M primers at OAL of 2.025".(Saving up for Quickload!)

Thanks...

...Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the Berger 35 gr in my 222 mag using N120, 25.2 grs. This gives me right at 4000ft/sec.
In a 222 Rem using 30 gr Bergers and N120 , 22.4 grs I get 3895ft/sec. Both loads with 7 1/2 primers.
Excellent accuracy with each load.

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot alot of the 30gr. Bergers in 221, 223, 22-250 for shortrange stuff. I really don't think they can be beat.

Got rid of my Hornet years ago after getting a 221FB.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've been plunking the 35 gr. Hornady V-Max's downrange in our 22 Hornets with great satisfaction, great accuracy & some pretty impressive velocities outa the Hornets.

Hi there Gerry.
What velocities are you getting? (I might just try some in mine). What powder are you using? (My case is already full to the brim with Lil'Gun under a 55 grainer!)

beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tired them in a 22.250 just for kicks. They never made it to the target, but they were launched at about 3900 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though they don't perform as well as the 40 grainers at long range, the explosive performance and 3000 fps starting velocity make them a riot to shoot at close to medium range targets. 50-150 yards. My hornet loves them and the prairie dogs, ground squirrels and even a badger earlier this year hate em. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
I use them in my little Sako 222.
I find them really accurate and fast at about 3600fps and have an almost identical trajectory as the Nosler 55gr ballistic tip at 3000fps out to 300 or so yards so there's no need for any radical hold-over or resighting of the optics when switching between the 2 loads. They also have a slightly lower noise level than the 50-55 grainers too in my experience.
I rate them.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Everyone!

Thank You all for your input - AR delivers again! I appreciate EVERY single response, sadly it would take too long to respond to each individual input but I value them all.

This exactly the range of response I was soliciting and obviously a wealth of expereince out there with the little Hornady bullets. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread there's really no need for this since the 45 gr. RWS J/M's and the 40 gr. Nosler BT'S & Hornady V-Max's are much of a good thing in the .222 & .223 Remingtons but just want to give it a try for Shits & Giggles.

When I get down into the Witch's Den in the basement (my reloading room) I'm gonna start with a few Pieces of Toad and Pinches of Newt from some of your recommendations!

I'll let you know the results of my test loads.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:

Hi there Gerry.
What velocities are you getting? (I might just try some in mine). What powder are you using? (My case is already full to the brim with Lil'Gun under a 55 grainer!)

beer

I sold my Hornet a while back but it shot like Gerry's. I think the load was 13.0 gr of Lil'Gun and I seated the 35 gr Hornady bullets to just touch the lands on my Browning Micro Hunter. Velocity was about 3000 and it shot .5 MOA pretty much on demand. The Browning is short-throated for Hornet bullets and not all Hornet chambers will let you seat the stubbly little bullets to the lands. And I used small rifle primers, not pistol. Please check the manuals because I'm writing the load from memory.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:

Hi there Gerry.

beer

I sold my Hornet a while back but it shot like Gerry's. I think the load was 13.0 gr of Lil'Gun and I seated the 35 gr Hornady bullets to just touch the lands on my Browning Micro Hunter. Velocity was about 3000 and it shot .5 MOA pretty much on demand. The Browning is short-throated for Hornet bullets and not all Hornet chambers will let you seat the stubbly little bullets to the lands. And I used small rifle primers, not pistol. Please check the manuals because I'm writing the load from memory.

tiggertate,

I just bought a Brwoning Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet, and gotta say it is a VERY excellent rifle. I had two other Hornets at the time I bought the Brwoning, a Ruger Number 1, and a Ruger Model 77. The Browning immediately moved to the head of the class of Hornets at my house. I sold the Number 1, but kept the 77 as the last group I shot with it at 50 yards measured 1/4" for three shots. But, the Browning is even more accurate than the 77, at 100 yards. And, there is no contest as to which rifle is more handsome.. The Ruger 77 doesn't even come close in the looks department.

Don

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think the Browning Hornet is the best in class. I think it shoots right there with Anchutz for far less money. I sold mine to a friend with a young son needing to learn to shoot. I have first rights if he later sells it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I used small rifle primers, not pistol.
I compared small pistol to Fed small rifle primers and found no difference. Apparently, the Feds are almost as thin and low powered as pistol primers.

My Anschutz has a very long throat. Even with 60gr bullets seated far out, I cannot reach the lands. I don't recall seeing a Browning hornet. Can it be more classy than a 1431/32 Anschutz?! Big Grin Can you post a picture of the Browning, please? (I cannot post pictures).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote