THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Blue Dot Load Safety Issues: Solution to Double Charges

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Load Safety Issues: Solution to Double Charges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
one of the biggest things folks criticize using this powder in rifle cases is the chance of a double charge...

Well I have to take personal blame for Homer Simpsoning out on this one.. homer.. by not even thinking about the obvious that I do reloading...

It is all down to technique at the reload bench...

We have pointed out that it is mandatory safety to load one cartridge at a time... charge your case, and then seat a bullet before going onto the next...

However, what I have Homer Simpsoned on is a few other guidelines, that are so obvious to me, I didn't even think to share...

1. Don't use a powder dropper.. or whatever you want to call it..

I STRICTLY use a Lee Powder dipper and a 505 Beam Scale, and a powder trickler...

Say for a 10 grain load of blue dot in a 223 case... you can actually double charge this load, but CAN NOT double charge a 12 grain load...

HOWEVER, when using a Lee .7 cc dipper, that holds only about 8 grains of Blue Dot... to double charge the case, you have to use the dipper TWICE...( I can't help folks who can't count between one and two)...
then you trickle the load until your beam scale bar is level...

if it isn't level, you have too much powder if it is sticking up at an angle, and not enough if it is sticking DOWN at an angle...

This is a second measure of safety...

NOW with your funnel, pour the powder into your case...

Then seat a bullet....

this is the way I have always done it, and the way I do all of my loading...

yeah it may take longer, but just like driving slower in poor weather conditions, the result is safety... not time convenience...

With a Lee Dipper ( of the proper size), and a beam scale, you have to go out of your way to make a double charge, regardless of how small your charge is....

I wouldn't recommend a Dillion press for anyone doing Blue dot loads, just as I have discouraged its use in semi auto firearms..

I take blame here as I missed passing on, what I see as blatantly obvious.. and it is my fault for assuming everyone saw it in the same light that I did..( don't take this as I think those who don't see it as being dumb, as that is not what is meant)...

This simple overlooked "obvious" detail, came to me, on another web site, when someone was asking about who uses Lee Dippers...

I do every load I make this way, regardless of powder or cartridge.. folks have said it can take too much time... the way I look at it tho, is like driving slower in bad weather or driving down a mountain road... sure it may take more time.. but the safety obtained is well worth it..

so my apologies in not pointing out my load techniques, that I saw as an obvious solution to a viable concern, a long time ago...

if you want to load Blue Dot and have safety concerns about double charges... spend $8.00 at Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabelas and get yourself a set of Lee Powder Dippers...

and seat your bullets right after charging each individual case, before moving on to the next one...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I always take the case to be charged and put it upside down in the funnel that is setting wide part down. Then pick up the weighed charge and dump it in. Stand that case in a tray and move on. No way to double charge.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best and fastest way I have found to check for a double charge is simply weight the completed round. After I am all done I weigh each round on my Lyman digital scale. Of course they will vary to some degree due to brass and bullet, but they should not vary as much as the charge of BL in my rifle cartridges.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornJohn! Did you ever receive those graduated doll rods I sent you last year for varifying powder level in each case? fishingRoger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornJohn! Did you ever receive those graduated doll rods I sent you last year for varifying powder level in each case? fishingRoger

Yes I did Roger.. in fact, I mentioned them on one of the other forums earlier today...

I use them.. and appreciate your generosity in sending them to me... it was thoughtful..

( I am trying to make this simple enough for beginners, since the panic about a double charge is surfacing.. it is all about load technique and payin attention with an eye on safety while reloading...)

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I look in ALL of the cases after charging. I use a Flashlight and shine in in every one of them. Haven't found an mt case or an over charge yet but I'm still doing it every time I reload. Handgun or rifle it is still what I do. wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire,
I weigh, charge and seat to avoid the issue ... homer ... never thought to use the Lee dippers and I have quite a few! Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My technique uses a powder measure that's bolted to the bench next to the press. I charge each case and immediately seat the bullet.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Éven as far away as the Highlands, I weigh(quite often use a dipper), charge and seat, one at a time. I am in no rush to do me harm Big Grin, and that is the way I always introduce new people to reloading.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I used to support the "Reduced" Blue Dot Loads, it seems the easiest and SAFEST way to avoid the problem entirely and completely - is to simply use the Reduced Loads shown in the Manuals.

As a Major benefit, they have been thoroughly Pressure Tested in $$$HIGH$$$ equipment and those Powders which indicated "Erratic Stability" - such as Blue Dot - are simply not included.

Best of luck to all you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Even though I used to support the "Reduced" Blue Dot Loads, it seems the easiest and SAFEST way to avoid the problem entirely and completely - is to simply use the Reduced Loads shown in the Manuals.

As a Major benefit, they have been thoroughly Pressure Tested in $$$HIGH$$$ equipment and those Powders which indicated "Erratic Stability" - such as Blue Dot - are simply not included.

Best of luck to all you folks.
While loads listed in manuals have been tested by someone somewhere, in their equipment, they have not been tested in my firearms.

I still have to work up every single load listed in those manuals as they have not been tested in MY equipment.

I find it funny you are still harping on this point, or should I say:
pissers

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Lee powder dippers are a good idea. The best way to avoid a reloading accident, in my opinion, is for the reloader to FOCUS ON THE TASK.

If you are not capable of giving your full attention to the chore, buy factory ammo!

A wise man said "nothing can ever be made idiot proof, idiots are far too clever."

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acsteele:
The best way to avoid a reloading accident, in my opinion, is for the reloader to FOCUS ON THE TASK.

...and, I'd like to add, always check TWICE before setting the bullet over Blue Dot or similar loads.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
You can grab a 1/8" wood dowell, insert it into the case mouth till it rests on the powder, mark the dowell at the case mouth, then use it as a gauge for all of your other loads. It won't tell you if you are of a grain or 2, but it will let you know if you have zeroed or double charged right quick. Oh, and its cheap too....

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote