Find
Notify
Tools

6.5s for hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a 264 Win Mag. For 41 years it kills Every thing dead!!! I just bought the daughter a Remington stainless laminate mountain rifle in 260 Remington. We are handloading the 127gr. Barns LRX. I believe it will also kill Everything dead!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an old friend that in 22 trips to Colorado killed 29 elk the rifle he used was a 96 Swede that he cut the barrel to 18 1/2" reduced the magazine to hold 3 rounds. He killed a elk at a distance of 600 yds, his rancher friend verified this to me. He used Hornady 158 gr round nose bullets with 4350 powder, the scope was a weaver J 2.5, crosshair post. if the rancher hadn't backed up store I would have said BULL. He sore by the 6.5X55

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
6.5x54mm M-S.

or

6.5 Nosler.

Cool Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
6.5x55AI???

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Well, I have several 6.5s too. Swede (2), 6.5 x 284, 264 Win Mag and 6.5 x 57. The 6.5 x 57 is a great one that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I don't think of any one as better or best; all are fine for my purposes.

That said, I read an email deep into my third bourbon and bought 5,000 rounds of 6.5 x 55 practice rounds for $96.00. Wooden bullets for those not familiar.

So I guess at my age and looming retirement (aka poverty) I'll be shooting the Swede for the foreseeable future. Something Zen-like about pulling 5,000 bullets just for the primed cases. At least the first fifty weren't so bad, lol.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 Grendel-Max and a 6.5x57 reside amongst my rifles.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X47 Lapua is a superb round.

I have also owned 264's two 6.5X68's and a 6.5X55.

My favourite is the 6.5X47 Lapua. tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have owned 2-.264 Win. Mags., but even though they were both accurate and gave good performance on game, I just simply couldn't stayed hooked up with them.

I still own a sporterized 1915 Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55, I use it some, it does a good job but I keep it more a novelty than a working gun.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with my 6.5x55 Mauser. The newer versions don't offer any real improvement for hunting purposes. Until you get to the .264 Winchester or newer Weatherby round does the field begin to change. Problem with that for me at least is if I needed that much velocity I would also up the bullet diameter.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found out that I have ten boxes of 6.5x68. I would like a steeper shoulder angle, but this angle will feed more easily. Probably will put on a 1:8 barrel (Douglas, or Brux). 26" barrel.

The 6.5x65 RWS gets a 24"-26" cut rifled barrel.

The 6.5x57 will go into the G33/40, and get a 24" barrel.

All three chambers will get American style necks, throats, and lead angles. I just don't get warm and fuzzy with a 6.5x55.

Going 57mm, 65mm, and 68mm is like walking up the stairway to heaven.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on your hunting style and what you expect your rifle to do. Personally my idea of a fine hunting rig is a light weight 22'-23" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua in a short action with a fine wood stock done up by one of our great gun builders.

Either of those is capable of reaching your target velocity easily with 130gr bullets. The Creedmoor will be the easiest to find factory ammo for just about anywhere you end up should you need it.

The others are fine cartridges but the 260 and 6.5x55 suffer a little in a short action and are difficult to find ammo for. Most manufacturers are producing the Creedmoor and now even Remington is advertising it. A mountain rifle in 6.5CM would be easy to get around with.

Opinions do vary.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd really like a 6.5 Grendel...just don't want it in an AR Platform. May need to source a Ruger #1 and rebarrel....

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd really like a 6.5 Grendel...just don't want it in an AR Platform. May need to source a Ruger #1 and rebarrel....

Here you go:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

If I didn't already own a 527 in .223, I would buy one of these in 6.5 Grendel. They have a mini Mauser action, a single set trigger, a 24 inch barrel, and a walnut stock. What's not to love?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
quote:

Here you go:

If I didn't already own a 527 in .223, I would buy one of these in 6.5 Grendel. They have a mini Mauser action, a single set trigger, a 24 inch barrel, and a walnut stock. What's not to love?

This site makes it easy to spend money Big Grin Thanks for the info..I like my CZ452 and contemplated a 527 in 762x39....since they make it in the Grendel that will be the route I go

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My crutches and I stumble bummed it down to the brass and bullet room last night with a plus sized flashlight. I had some near wonderful surprises:

1. 5.6 x 57 RWS 120 cases.
2. 5.6 x 52 R 60 cases.
3. 6.5 Grendel 300 cases.
4. 6.5 x 54 MS 100 cases.
5. 6.5 x 55 SM 500 cases.
6. 6,5 x 57 M 120 cases.
7. 6.5 x 65 RWS 180 cases.
8. 6.5 x 68 S 160 cases.
9. 275 Rigby 40 cases.

Providing homes for these cases is going to take two years, and all my small amount of discretionary income. It is nice to have a purpose in life. Most of those cases are RWS. At one point, I was buying three or four boxes of RWS cases every 90 days to slowly build up the stash. I saved up Mauser and Remington Actions. Now it's time to buy #3 profile barrels. Maybe get a golf cart with a gun rack. Select a rifle based on distance...

I really appreciate what everyone here has been saying about the strong points of the various chamberings. It is also gratifying to see also that 6.5mm bore rifles have finally caught on in America, likely due to the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 6.5 Grendel. Even Craig Boddington has been flogging the .264 Winchester Magnum as of late. I will start loading up on 125-grain Partitions, and 140 grain Accubonds and Partitions. Help, help, I need some H4350!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sandy, that little CZ is a dandy. Looking at Hodgdon load data for the Gren, their top loads max out at 50,000 and 2500 fps with the Hornady 123-grain Amax, no doubt for the AR platform. Wonder if the little CZ Mauser could be safely loaded hotter.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16392 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
quote:

Here you go:

This site makes it easy to spend money Big Grin Thanks for the info..I like my CZ452 and contemplated a 527 in 762x39....since they make it in the Grendel that will be the route I go

I just got a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. I started the quest to get one the first of the year and it's taken six full months plus a couple of days.

It's a fantastic little rifle, I slicked up the action which was typical CZ sticky and jerky and readjusted the trigger down to 2 1/4 lbs unset and just under 1lb set. Love the weight, and if it had a flush fit magazine it would be a fantastic carrying rifle.

My first outing was not as good as I hoped, I did not have the scope mounts torqued down correctly so I had a little movement there and still got groups running about 1.5" at 100 yards, and this was with heat and sweat running into my eyes.

I have had about 7 years experience with the cartridge, building 3 AR types, one a big 26" barrel bench gun that on a good day will shoot sub 1/2 " groups.

I even went so far to fire a few loads I had prepared a couple of years ago for my AR, consisting of 7.62x39 IMI brass simply resized and loaded with a reduced charge under a 140 gr bullet. They were shooting groups about 1 3/4" at 100, but due to much lower velocity shot about 6" lower than factory loads.

I picked up some of the Hornandy ELD black match loads to try next time.

Even in this very light little rifle, recoil is almost non existant, I probably shot 50 rounds and my shoulder felt fine.

Now I need to clean off my bench and load up some real accuracy loads with some of the Lapua brass and bullets I have put back.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Sandy, that little CZ is a dandy. Looking at Hodgdon load data for the Gren, their top loads max out at 50,000 and 2500 fps with the Hornady 123-grain Amax, no doubt for the AR platform. Wonder if the little CZ Mauser could be safely loaded hotter.

CZ made the Grendel with a 24" barrel, which they state is to optimize velocity. It's the only rifle in the 527 series with a long barrel
all others having barrels just under 22". I have not seen data for different barrel lengths, but suspect if you used some of the slower burning powders listed for the caliber you would get a bit more velocity.

The little action looks stout, but I do not plan on pushing things. In all honesty with the two locking lugs which are quite small the lug pressure bearing surface is nowhere as great as that on an AR 15, if that means anything.

I guess you consider what the pressure levels are on a .223. SAAMi levels there are 55,000 PSI, and C.I.P operating pressures are 62,366psi with a proof level of 77,058 PSI, so I guess you could go a bit higher.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is America, we are only sixty years behind Europe in some areas, and sixty years ahead in other ways. The 6.5x65 RWS is equivalent to the 6.5 Magnum, and the 6.5 x 68 is a slow twist .264 Magnum.

The 6.5x65 RWS can be made into a lovely mountain rifle. A tighter twist rate on the 6.5x68 will give you a .264 Magnum to dominate the plains and ridges with 140-grain bullets that shoot into the next county.

Both calibers benefit from a suppressor. A .270 Win needs a 25" barrel to really reach out. An even better answer is a 270 Weatherby with a full 26" barrel. Again with a 140-grain bullet. Man does not live by 9.3 bullets alone.

Is Flikr a good picture hosting sight?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5s for Hunters right? The 260 or the Creed are the clear choices. Good cheap supply of brass. No discernable performance difference in hunting situations. Load options from p-dogs to elk - with most bullets not just suitable, but perfect for deer sized applications. The advantages inherent in short action rifles. Enjoyable to shoot in the field and at the bench as well as economical. Many of the above mentioned cases are very cool, some very efficient and some filled with nostalgia. That is all great until you realize how much they cost to build, how difficult it can be at times to find brass. then you find out after all that, that from field positions and only shooting one shot your odd-ball case put a 125 grain partition through the shoulders in a one hole group, just like the 260, but you spent 7 minutes looking for your brass cause you have only loaded that one 3 times and it still got 5 more loadings in it. the coolest practical 6.5 is the 06. After that you may as well get the Nosler or the Wby. That said if you don't care about practicality try em all and see for yourself. I have or have had the 260, 6.5wsm, 6.5-06, 6.5x284, .264Win, 6.5 Swede and the Grendle. They were all easy to load for, but the 260 gets carried 10 to one over the rest in the field. The only real difference I have seen as it relates to on game performance has had more to do with bullet type/weight than case shape or volume. Long story longer, just get what sings to you because at sane hunting ranges, yes, they are all the same.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

6.5 x 57 Brno M21

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
The 6.5's I have are
6.5 Grendel (AR and Mini Mk X bolt action)
6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Predator
and of course the great and classic 6.5 Swede in a 96 Mauser, 38 Mauser and a T/C Encore rifle.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
The 6.5's I have are
6.5 Grendel (AR and Mini Mk X bolt action)
6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Predator
and of course the great and classic 6.5 Swede in a 96 Mauser, 38 Mauser and a T/C Encore rifle.

Steve........

Really anything in the 6.5x55 Swede. Nothing says it better than 137 years of success!

JJK