New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .223???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, guys, I've been wanting a rifle that I can practice a lot with (read: cheap) for some time now, and I've decided it's time. I want a rifle in .223, since I can still find reasonably priced ammo for it around here. Now the kicker...which one? I thought I definately wanted an AR-15, but now I'm not too sure. I want the rifle to practice for hunting shots out to 200 yards, maybe 300, and while the AR wouldn't be bad, I don't hunt with semis...all bolts for me thus far. Anyway, most of my hunting rifles are Remington 700s, so I guess that would make sense, but I'm open to any suggestions you guys have. I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks on this one, but keeping price down wouldn't be bad, either. Like I said, this gun will probably just be for practicing, maybe I'll occasionally take it out for a walk for ground hogs, but no serious hunting. Thanks for any suggestions you guys can give me.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCZ 527 American. or Stevens Mod 200. OK for walking around rifles and resonably priced. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BRNO 601. I like the safety better than the new one.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would not discount the AR15 platform due to it being a semi automatic. Accuracy is at worst equal to typical bolt gun and more than likely even better. They work and work very well. Perhaps PA does not permit semi autos in the hunting fields??? but that 15 is awful hard to beat for the money. Usually can build one for under 800.00 that will provide 1/2moa accuracy at ranges out to 600 yards or more. Not too shabby!! Good luck on whatever you select.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Had a Brno 601,have owned several Bushmasters last one being the Varmint version have owned 2 mini 14's including one Ranch Rifle vesion. Currently have what I believe is a keeper. I have a Remington 7615Police that makes ,to me, a perfect knockabout gun. It is small (16" barrel) with parkerized finish and black composition forearm/slide handle and buttstock. Came with iron sights. Replaced the open rear with a peep and now have settled on a scope. Shoots good groups,is handy beyond belief, and I believe a keeper. Not exactly cheap however. Takes AR15 magazines.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Do you handload, or will this just be shooting factory ammo?

If you can still find one of the Remington LVSF's in 221 fireball, you can have it re-chambered to a 223 and you'll have a very fine .223 target rifle.

For a no compromise .223, I'd have one built using a 1-8 twist match grade bull barrel, stock it in a MacMillan A-5, and top it with a Leupold 3.5-10 tactical scope in a 20 moa base. With the heavier bullets you'll have an honest 1000 yd target rifle that will have almost no recoil, and will be inexspensive to feed.

The AR-15's are a neat platform, but if you're looking for true precision, and don't want to chase brass, you can't beat a good bolt gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Savage Model 12 Low Profile Varminter

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
quote:
CZ 527 American. or Stevens Mod 200. OK for walking around rifles and resonably priced.

I would second that opinion, either would make a nice platform to build something better later on. The savage is quite a lot of bang for the buck, and accurate too....

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a customed Interarms Mini Mauser and I also like my Brno 601.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, interesting suggestions, guys, not what I thought I was going to hear. One thing maybe I should add, I want the rifle to be a sporter weight, since this is to practice for hunting situations (I have a .22-250 in a varmint gun that could be used for this, but I can't shoot it too well offhand).

dsiteman,
No, PA doesn't allow semis to be used for hunting (rifles, anyway).

It's not that I didn't think an AR wouldn't do the shooting I want it to, it's just that since I'll be using a bolt action rifle for my hunting, I thought a bolt would be best to do the practicing with. I don't know if it's that big of a deal, because I have been shooting bolts all my life and am used to the action, just haven't had a whole lot of range time with them practicing from field positions, which is what I really want to do with this rifle. Thanks again for all the suggestions, guys, keep them coming.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well, I have access to 223s in the following platforms..

Remington 700, ( ADL, VLS, VSF)
Winchester Model 70 ( Featherweight and custom barreled Sporter with a heavy varmint taper..)
Savage 12 BVSS
Ruger 77 Mk 2 ( VT and the Sporter weight)

They all are worthwhile rifles.. the round is pretty darn accurate.. all the factory ones are darn good shooters...

I really don't think there is a real bad choice in a 223 bolt gun...
Savage and Stevens have some super options and wonderfully accurate rifles...

Remingtons, and Rugers never seem to disappoint their owners.. unless it is the trigger and that can be taken care of...

I don't think you have any wrong choices really...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 VLS & like it. No felt recoil at all. it is a little on the heavy side.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing maybe I should add, I want the rifle to be a sporter weight, since this is to practice for hunting situations (I have a .22-250 in a varmint gun that could be used for this, but I can't shoot it too well offhand).

The savage/stevens would be sporter weight and very $ effective. You could however decide to build into any style rifle at a later date with the fact they are so parts interchangable. Very respectable accuracy for a practice rifle also.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 is my choice. Inexpensive and well known for excellent accuracy.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_smallbore_rifles.php

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
...most of my hunting rifles are Remington 700s, so I guess that would make sense, ...
Hey Justin, Take a look at a M7 before you decide. With 50gr, 52gr, 53gr, or 55gr Bullets(one will do it), you can normally adjust the Load to duplicate the Trajectory of your Big Game rifles and still get excellent accuracy.

I have the S&S M7 and it surprised me when I took it out of the stock - no glob of Bedding compound. Decided to shoot it anyhow and it shoots great.

I agree that a 223Rem is perfect for what you are wanting to do.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote