New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm x 270 Weatherby??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have experience with this chambering. Someone recently suggested that it might be more controllable/more accurate than the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby. Sort of a velociraptor compared to a T. Rex.

Thanks for any input.
Charlie

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, Thank you for that well thought out response. My view of this type of cartridge in concordant with yours - One to the chest 150 meters further than traditional cartridges with the .473" bases head diameter. I have a not so accurate 7mm Rem Mag. I'm hoping next year to have the action blueprinted, and a medium still barrel added to the mix. .270 Weatherby is the school approved solution, but I will give consideration to Barnes and Swift Sirocco IIs. Your rifle sounds like a real kick to shoot (small pun intended). It would make for a companion barrel to my 375 Weatherby. Thanks again, and happy shooting. Charlie

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lawndart.

As you may know I shoot with .270 Weatherby and it`s one of my favorits. 20 years ago it would might have made sence to make a 6,5/270wea because VLD bullets for the .277cal wasn`t offered. Today the bullets selection for the .277cal is wider and one can find high BC bullets.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're talking about a 264 WM in a slightly different jacket...or a WSM wildcat which are available in several iterations..long or short action, your choice.

Doesn't mean that if you like the Weatherby case you couldn't/wouldn't have a very fine wildcat...name it the 265 Lawndart...catchy name. Cool Big Grin

But I think just downloading the 6.5 Weatherby a bit will get you there, or as Jens says...a few very good VLD bullets are available for the 270 WBY and only ~ 0.013" difference in OD.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
These are not small caliber!! shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5s are small here. 375 is big here. Saeed can draw the lines wherever he wants.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
This case is mentioned in Ackley's Handbook.
As a hunting cartridge, it is the ballistic-equal of the .264 WinMag, but would have the advantage of the longer neck.
There is no rule that says you HAVE to use the more expensive Weatherby brass, as all you'd need to do is form other similar cases in a die, 7mm RemMag or .264, or even .300 WinMag would all work with a bit of trimming thrown in.
It would be the same with the case having a 40* shoulder like the Ackley-design case.
I don't like the idea of dowm-loading the Nosler or Weatherby .300 case as I like to keep the case as full of powder as I can, for shooting a looong way. These cases are ALL found on benchrests at the matches for 600-1000yd ranges. They work well, but barrels don't last as long. The 6.5/300 sure wins enough, though.
The competition I am building a rifle for is called Long-range Varmint Silhouette an is at 2MOA steel cutouts of animals, the longest is a 750yd coyote. Any rifle, any cartridge (except .50 cal, or .416) any sights.
My choice, FWIW is a .264 WM.

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
When Weatherby announced that they were coming out with a 6.5 I hoped it would be on their shorter, .257, .270, 7mm case. But all manufacturers fight each other to say they they have the fastest in any catagory so I wasn't surprised to see on release it was going to be on a long .300 case. To bad a 6.5 that fit into their existing family would have been nice. That said it makes a 6.5x 270 a worthy option.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. I have 150 .270 Weatherby cases, so I will turn my 7mm Rem Mag into a 270 Weatherby Mag in the fourth quarter of 2019.

I have been doing some research on the 6.5 PRC. I plan on getting a SA magnum bolt, and having a 22-250 Varmint/Sendero fitted with the PRC barrel and bolt. I can switch back and forth, yada, yada.

I looked around at the newer .277 bullets. There are some very nice ones available these days.

Again thanks for all your information, views, and suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would probably be very similar to my 264 WinMag. Mine loves the 127gr Barnes LRX with 77gr of US 869. That load chrono's a bit over 3300 fps for me and shoots accurately. I can see why Weatherby went with the full length casing. Anything else would've been too close to the 6.5-284, 264 WinMag, and 6.5 PRC; while also lagging behind the 26 Nosler. The shorter case makes more sense unless you adhere to the Weatherby motto to "shoot faster...." So I like that the old 6.5-300 Wby wildcat has been legitimized and is a factory option, even if it isn't efficient or of modern design (beltless, short, and fat).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x300 Weatherby barrel for my Blaser R8. A 127 LRX, propelled by 90 grains of US869, provides excellent accuracy.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HondoLane:
So I like that the old 6.5-300 Wby wildcat has been legitimized and is a factory option, even if it isn't efficient or of modern design (beltless, short, and fat).

You mean like Charles Newton modern? Big Grin. stir

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally understand your meaning. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot dog, I just learned something.....my body composition is of modern design! I'll take it.

quote:
Originally posted by HondoLane:
It would probably be very similar to my 264 WinMag. Mine loves the 127gr Barnes LRX with 77gr of US 869. That load chrono's a bit over 3300 fps for me and shoots accurately. I can see why Weatherby went with the full length casing. Anything else would've been too close to the 6.5-284, 264 WinMag, and 6.5 PRC; while also lagging behind the 26 Nosler. The shorter case makes more sense unless you adhere to the Weatherby motto to "shoot faster...." So I like that the old 6.5-300 Wby wildcat has been legitimized and is a factory option, even if it isn't efficient or of modern design (beltless, short, and fat).