Notify
Tools

uncooperative gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted
Got a Remington 760 in 243.

Shoots awful except for low power Varmint grenades, puts them in one hole at 50 yards.

Factory 80 grain corelokt...4 inches at 25 yards.

3200 FPS 58 grain Vmax...6 inches at 50 yards.

85 grain Speer hp series from 35.5 to 39.5 grains of Varget...the best was almost 2 inches at 50 yards.

85 grain Barnes TSX 38.5 Varget...5 inches at 50 yards.

If it weren't for the VGs shooting so well I'd just write it off as a bad gun and get rid of it. What's loose?

Posts: 963 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 760 in 30 06 some years for cheap. It would not shoot any better than 3 to 4 inches at at 100 yds. I found that the slide was pressing hard against the barrel on one side, after relieving it it now groups at an 1 1/2" at 100. This may not be your problem but worth a check.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a candidate for a 338 rebore.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most 760s are very accurate, in fact that was the choice of the CIA for an assination rifle at one time...

If I were you I would shoot the gun at 100 yards and give the bullets time to settle and if that does not work then you probably have a bad barrel or some loseness problem somewhere.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law's Rem .243 would not shoot any load I worked up in the lighter bullets. I finally got some 90 and 100 grain bullets to shoot decently. You might try some heavier bullets. (My son-in-law was a little disappointed that his gun wouldn't shoot the lighter varmint bullets better but was glad we finally found something that would work.)

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the barrel twist on your 760?

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Got a Remington 760 in 243.

?

Is this rifle New, Used or something you have owned for awhile?

If it is Used/new to you, then I would give the bore a good scrubbing. Never know what kind of piss poor maintenance was done by the previous owner.
And when you think you have it nice and clean, change solvents and clean it some more.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote