THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    70 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips on feral hogs

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

70 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips on feral hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any input? Head and neck shots only for night hunting.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Caliber?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops. 6MM, this hunting is to be done on small properties with cows and I want to limit penetration. Looking for just enough to get the job done but with little or no possible damage to the cows.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is a varmint bullet. likely to blow up on the surface

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want them to blow up in the first 5-6 inches of neck or skull. I figure to get somewhat better performance than I get with the 22-250 I have been using.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last hog I saw killed with a .243 was using a 55 grain Ballistic Tip -- head shot just like you specify and DRT. If you head-shoot them you can use any kind of bullet with the same result.

But be aware: The Ballistic Tip has a solid base of jacket material which causes it to penetrate surprisingly deep. On a smallish hog you could get full penetration and have a small hunk of lead and jacket continue on somewhere you don't want it. You might want to consider the 70 grain Sierra Blitzking, which shoots to the same POI with identical loads as the Nosler B.T. in my gun.

BTW: I've never had a bullet provide better accuracy than the 70 grain .243 B.Tip.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be pretty happy with that choice. As long as your piggies make the 50 pound mark or better you will be impressed with most vital shot locations and very quick death. It is very unlikely you will get pass through with any useable energy left.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bunch of wild goats with that bullet in a 243 in Australia. I never had a pass through, usually a frontal chest shot or behind the shoulder. I will say I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked, all but a couple dropped like a brainshot.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've taken mule deer with a .243 using 55g NBT humming along at 4050 FPS and the result was a flopper.

Distances was around 175 yards and the bullet did not pass through the animal. I did not find the bullet in the animal when cleaning it out and it was shot in the chest in front of the diaphragm. I did find a lot of pieces of this pink sponge like matter I think they call a lung.

Never shot a pig with any caliber so I would defer to those that have that experience.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote