THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington's Power Lok HP of yesteryear????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington's Power Lok HP of yesteryear????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a box of these out in the gun room loaded in 223, 55gr HP.

Does anyone know how they will stack up against the newer varmint bullets? Are they explosive? I'll use them for coyotes.

The box is aqua blue with red lettering, pretty cool! Marked "Kleen Bore"

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 55 grain Rem Powerlokt bullets but I have loaded and shot quite a few of the 50 grain Rem PL .224 bullets out of my 22/250Rem and they are very accurate. Never shot any coyotes with them but they will sling prairie dogs into the air a couple of feet with ease. I don't think they would be explosive because they are a FMJ with a very slight hollow point. I still like them.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 55gr PL has always been a great performer in my 22-250. Accurate and effective on coyotes.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These bullets are somewhat unusual. They are soft swaged bullets that are plated with copper to form the jacket. They are technically a very thin jacketed FMJ with a very soft core.

I bought a bulk purchase of the 6mm version many years ago. The bullets were really soft and did not survive shipping well. When I received them they were dimpled like a golf ball.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do y'all think they will do in a 1:7 twist out of a 223? If they did not ship well they may tear apart????

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
How do y'all think they will do in a 1:7 twist out of a 223? If they did not ship well they may tear apart????

You would be correct. I have shot them out of 1:7 twist No blue streak, but accuracy was pretty poor. Typically, first couple rounds fall into expected POI, then they go south. Stick to something with a thicker jacket.

That said, I have used PLHPs extensively in the .22-250 and Swift with 1:14s. They shoot as tight as the best from Sierra and Speer. They do not fall apart in mid-air launched over 4000 fps. But "soft" core is right: they often will not even exit from a woodchuck. We never found one sizeable fragment.

I have heard various explanations for their construction. Some have argued they are not plated. I would love to hear from someone with connections at Remington who actually knows how they were made.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had heard the jackets were electro-chemically deposited on the cores which resulted in a very uniform jacket thickness. They were always regarded as a very accurate bullet.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys for all the input!

Perry