THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone own a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 - Feedback?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 - Feedback?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I have been looking at this rifle in the CZ catalog and am becoming interested in one in 6.5x55.

Anybody got any experience with this model? Basic feel and balance of this full stocked model?

What has your accuracy been in the 20.5" barrel in 6.5x55?

Thanks for you answers in advance.

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have one. My rifle was quite accurate out of the box, roughly 1 MOA, YMMV. It has become my "woods" rifle.

I mounted a Leupold 1.5-5x20 in Med Warne QD mounts. You will find the stock is best suited for iron sights but the above combo works well enough.

The little rifle is kinda heavy but balances well and being a 6.5x55, recoil is minimal.

I killed 2 deer with it last year....about 4 seconds apart. 6.5x55 has become my favorite little cartridge. Easy to handload, accurate, little recoil, and hammers deer.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, albeit in a 270 win. It is a little heavy, but it is more of a solid feel IMO.

Took it to the range and shot my standard goto handloads and got 1.1 group. Used some old factory Winchester ammo and got a one hole (0.3) group. All this while doing the shoot one, clean one, break in routine. After the last three shots in one hole I figured the barrel didn't need any break in.

I think I'll be hunting with this rifle come deer season. I have a Burris 4-12 compact scope mounted on it right now. Don't know if I'm even going to mess around with handloads if I can get sub MOA performance from a factory load.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.5. Mine will shoot just about anything I feed into 1 inch or better groups. As BlackHawk1 stated it better suited for iron sites. I added a foam pad to the stock for bench shooting and load development. I remove the pad for hunting. With all of my CZ's the 550FS is a fine rifle with outstanding accuracy.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Weight does seem to be an issue on these guns. Has anyone ever pulled off the factory FS and weighed one? I really like the short barreled/iron sight & low powered variable concept for deep woods or hunting the thick stuff, but have been held back by the weight and was thinking about doing one in a synthetic stock of some sort to get to a 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 lb gun all up in a LA caliber...or even a 9.3x62 comments?
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 7x57.
Its a tack driver with 160grain bullets and shoots the lighter stuff prety well also,
But its throated so long the lighter stuff is hard to load out to the lands.
I would guess the 6.5 might be too.
But if you get get a 120 or 125 grain bullet to shoot well, it would be an extreemy versital hunting rifle out to a prety decent range I would guess, and while mine is we bit heavy for its short length, it handels well in the brush. I have a 2X7 leupold on it but i would prefer a 1.5X5..tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just weighed mine @ 8.5# with the Burris compact and empty rifle/no sling.

I have it all dialed in so I am not going to pull it apart. You should easily be able to drop a pound. Especially if you go to a regular synthetic. But the 550 action is a little heavier than most actions. But I think that may be one of the reasons they shoot so
d%&n good.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote