THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    243 Coyote at 400y & deer at 150y?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Coyote at 400y & deer at 150y?
 Login/Join

posted
I�m looking for a setup that will kill a coyote out to 300-400y and a deer at 150y. The gun I�m looking at is a Savage 243 Win. Model 11G with AccuTrigger.
Is there any ammunition that will shoot pretty flat to 400y and kill a coyote and also be able to take a deer at 150y?
What would be the best scope to buy for the least amount of money? I know we get what we pay for, but only to a certain point. Over that point is when you have more dollars then sense. I also like the idea of an illuminated reticle for half light and the closer night time hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a box of 80 gr factory loads and another of 100 gr factory loads. When deer season starts sight it in with the heavier bullet.

Perhaps others will help you on illuminated reticules.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a .25-06. Hust curious?

DuB

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YOu know for what it is worth I've used the 6/06 for years on yotes/deer/lopes. For the most part I've used the Noz 95 BT, at any range I can hit any of the above it'll do you just fine.

Just my thoughts...

"GET TO THE HILL"

dOGZ

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Nosler 95 BT as my all round bullet but found it too tough for these small whitetails in my area. Last year shot at a doe and she gave just a bit of a jump, danced away a few yards and started to browes! My dad was there and saw it! I knew I just had to have hit her with my .243 Sako as I had a good rest and it was just about 135 yards. As I looked at her through the scope she looked fine so I didn't shoot her again in the rear as that was the only shot I had at her again. My dog from the farmhouse ran up at the shot and they scattered. She ran over the hill tail high. Determined that I couldn't have missed such a easy shot I got on my ATV and took the dogs to look. Right over the hill about 40 yards away there she was stone dead with a icepick hole right behind her shoulder. .243 in and .243 out. Other deer have always ran and although I've not lost any deer with the Nosler BT I've had to track each one but a neck shot! Last year tried a Sierra 100 gr Pro Hunter and a nice doe piled up in her her tracks, I felt like I had a cannon in my hands. I would try for long range coyotes and short range deer the Sierra 100 gr boattail. If it shoots great in your .243 just use it for every thing and don't look back. The newer Nosler BTs are just too tough in my limited (4 whitetails) experiance. Billy R.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 243 is about perfect for the task you describe. So is the 6mm Remington, 250 Savage, or the 257 Roberts I suppose but there are fewer off the shelf rifles made for them. I share the opinion that you ought to switch bullets come deer season. I've used 95 grain Nosler Partitions when hunting deer with my 243 with good success. As for best value scopes I've had good luck so far with the Leupold VX-1 4-12x on my Sako 223. Four power is a classic choice for general big game hunting and twelve power becomes handy for smaller targets out around 300 yards. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No harm, no foul. It never hurts to be reminded to keep things relevant around here. Constructive criticism is good for the soul.

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
243 will do what you want. You can go all the way down to a 55gr balistic tip at about 4000 fps that is among the flattest shooters around. Or you can go up to the 100's for deer and have no troubles.

Why is it everyone thinks they can hit a coyote at 400 yards in a hunting situation? They only have a 6" ribcage from top to bottom which means if you are off 3" at 400 you are going to miss. Not saying it isn't done, but in most cases a 400 yard shot offhand at a 'yote = miss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

, but in most cases a 400 yard shot offhand at a 'yote = miss.

I believe an offhand 400yd shot at anything for most hunters is going to be a miss, but with a good rest.....don't bet on it! 6" ribcage???, may be a bit of an exageration unless you have pigmy yotes in your neighborhood.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget -are you thinking that a yote is bigger than 6" in the rib cage?

Also for what it is worth my two favorite yote rifles are et up like this, I can use them for long range shooting when set up.

Pre 64 M70 in a 6/06 with a Schneider 4 weight tube cut to 25", it wears a 6-20 Leo with Premier reticle dots out to 600. It runs a 95 Noz Bt at 3500 and the farthest ranged kill I have so far is 634.

M700 in a 7 Mashburn Super with a 4.5 weight Schneider cut to 25". It wears a 4-14 Leo with Premier dots to 700. Fitted with a Jewell.

Either round and rifle is set to go at range and is a great working rifle.

Using the dots and a good range finder and a really good shooting nest one can do some amazing things when he/she is in tune with the rifle.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I have shot and trapped a lot of coyotes in my day. And a skinned coyote's rib cage measures about 6" spine to sternum. You forget to subtract the 4" of fur.