THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    30 Grain Berger for 223 Remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Grain Berger for 223 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I recently noticed that berger makes a 30 grain 224 cal pill. I know you can get a 35 grain 223 rem to about 3900 fps. Now, what would happen if someone was to use the 30 grains in a 223 cartridge? I have not been able to find any load data, but using just rough calculations, 4200 fps does not seem unreasonable. I'm not sure if it would be accurate, though. I had fired an e-mail off to berger and see if they had anything to say but I have not heard back yet.

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30gr Bergers MEF's scream out of my 221 Fireball, doing 4000fps using LilGun. Load data was "extrapolated". Accuracy was sub-moa, and crows just sort of vaporize when hit. The overall bullet length indicates the jacket is the same for 30-35-40gr, just not much lead in the 30's!
Never tried them in any other cartridge, but....
Possible applicable powders for the 223 could be RL7, IMR/H 4198, AA1680, etc.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mulerider. You comment to me off list made me look into this. Maybe this will make me hold off on buying a 204 for a while.

Kory

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I know, its bad form to reply to your own messages, but ...

I ran some external ballistics numbers on 4200 fps 30 grain 223 cartidge versus 4100 fps 204 and I see the 204 has a huge advantage in long distance shots. At 500 yards, the 204 drop is about 35 inches versus 67 inches for a faster 30 grain 223. Oh well.

Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy in NYC makes 20-25 grns for a 224. BC sucked I was going to use them in either a fireball or a 223 with blue dot for foxes. I built a 17AH. 20 Duster coming in next 3 months and 17Jav iffen I can make a deal for a donor I want. Get your 17Mk4 shooting with 25s and get a 204 with 32-40s you will rule the world or the PD towns. A 223 is awesome a 223AI is better IMO. It is what it is thou and I doubt if a 30 would shoot all that hot. Subs are the way to fly if you have the need for speed.
PS replys to your own posts, well it is kinda like talking to yourself. LOL people might think you are a bit strange

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them in my 222 with 296 powder and got over 4000fps with moderate presures. Accuraccy was not very good and checking on the balistics program ,the 40gn V max would shoot flatter to 100yds due to far better BC. They are good to play with at the range and bring up 4050fps with a 222 when the 220 swift next to me is only showing 3980fps. The bullets look exactly like the 52gn bergers ,they are just hollow.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who makes the 20-25gn .224 bullets in NYC? Is it JRP? I wanted some of these bullets to play with and would like to get some contact details. JRP couldnt export to Australia so I would like to find someone who could.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it was JRP. I have not seen his add for a few months. His 25s were supposed to be something like 7 ogive. They were not filled with lead. They had something else in them. I wanted to push them out of a Fireball for Foxes to save on pelts. After a bunch of research I just built a 17. Bad move looks like more are coming. His bullets are supposed to be really accurate. He had something going with James Calhoon, I think he got his jackets from him. Give him a call maybe he can help, he ships to Canada.

posted Hide Post
4300 and 4400 are easy with RL7 in a 223AI. Shoots under half inch in my rem 700