Find
Notify
Tools

my 6.5 is sorted out!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
yee ha!
the 6.5x.270 ackley that i was having all the problems with is working fine, thanks to the people here that replied to my post about it almost a year ago, when i first joind the forum.
it came down to simply using '06 cases instead of .270 cases. something i should have done right from the git-go. the .270 cases just weren't leaving enough shoulder to keep the case back on the bolt face for fireforming, stupid me.
anyways... i loaded up 20 '06 cases to fire form with 129 flat bases over 49 gr.of 4831, went to the range and shot a few and everything looked much better....and.... while fireforming it shot a .464" three round group....lots of potential.
i also got bit by the maple handle bug and i wanted to try a thumbhole stock, so i lammed up some very curly bigleaf i had and whittled up a stock in the style of richard's "dual grip" thumbhole stock. ugly as they may be (my first venture away from classic lines), i have to admit the thumbhole is allot easier on my beat up right hand and wrist.
i don't know how to post pics, but my daughter does and i'll get her to help me get some up on this thread within a day or so.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting your wildcat running ... I had a time getting my 9.3x64 B working . But I,ve found a couple GREAT loads that will do everything I need it to so I,m good to go ... Posting pics is EASY .. If I can do it ANYONE can!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote