New
Find
Notify
Tools

REALLY Small Calibers???
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
New here. Has anyone checked out 10,12,& 14 calibers?
I'm considering a 12 or 10 based on a 25ACP case or maybe
Hornet brass with the rims turned off, chambered in a long barreled (10") Luger.
Why Not??
JS

one of us
Picture of safari_hunter
posted Hide Post
sarlein,

The .14 Walker Hornet is the only "really" small calibre that I know of.
I read an article about the Walker a few years ago and the biggest problem for the author was finding a steady supply of bullets.
The rifle was a re-barreled BRNO Fox and the tiny bullets screamed out at 4500+ fps.

Posts: 89 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the Eichelberger Darts. 10 Cal runs can be pushed at 3000fps with a 7.2 grain bullet using 2.6 grains of H110. 12 Dart is about the same. I am looking at building a 14 Squirrel which is a shortened hornet case or a 14 Bee. I am looking for an action now. I was leaning towards a Browning Low wall or a Ruger #3. For the squirrel it will be a Ruger 77/22 Hornet or the #3. We will see which comes first

one of us
posted Hide Post
sahlein...

Not to direct you away from the AR pages, as a few of the members here can probably answer your question, but this site/forum is filled with dedicated small caliber fans...

http://www.saubier.com/

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I found the Saubier forum already, they were very helpful there. Barrels are more of a problem than bullets.
I'll have to "roll my own" projectiles.
I'll probably wind up making my own barrel too!
JS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a 14 caliber " squirrel" before. I don't know what it was off of, but it was a centerfire, that was smaller than a 22 LR.

Why I had to ask myself? A creation of someone with much more free time than my life allows me.

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WHY??.....'Cause it's COOL!!!... & "Everybody" is doing "Everything Else". And yes, I do have the time.
Joe