New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-7mag
 Login/Join

<encoreman>
posted
looking for info on 25-7mag. I am thinking of having a barrel made to use on an encore frame. I haven't been able to find any loading data . I would like to know what you think .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how stedfast you are on the 25-7mag. This web site has info on a 25-300 mag in the reloading section though. Just another option.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Another choice you might consider is a 25STW, Layne Simpson at Shooting Times did one of these and there is a lot loading data floating around on the web for it Click here for the loading data . I think the STW uses non-belted brass too. I thought about it but decided to go with a .25WSM instead. Mine is almost finished. Have fun with what ever you go with. Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 257 STW is just the 7 STW necked down so it most definately uses a belt. Was going to get one but decided it was a little too overbore for me. Another mag option would be the 257 Wby. Brass may be a little high but it would give about the same ballistics as a 25- 7 mag but in a factory round. [Smile]

<encoreman>
posted
Thanks for the replys. It gives me something to think about. I am looking for a cal. that is a little bit different than factory. something for an encore that is long range,flat shooting and has power when it gets there. I would like to stay with 25 or 6.5 bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you said something different than factory and I'm in the same boat. At the present time the 257 WSM is still a wildcat and have been looking at it but will wait until it is officially released. When it is I'll place an order with Dave at VV for one. The other rounds that pop in my head are the 25-06 imp. Impressive numbers on it and the ill faded 264 win mag. Even though it is a factory round it is so scarce that It is pretty much a handload only option. I have a thing for the 25's and 26's as well own a 257 Rbts. and a 260 Rem. If I had to choose one of the two I couldn't. Go to VV's web site they have their own line of cartridges in 25, 26 as well as others. You will have to contact them for bali. numbers but it is probably just what you are looking for. Hope this helps. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
advantagefield@aol.com Parent Cartridge: 264WinM 7mm rem mag
Bore Diameter: 257 Case Length: 2.5
Brass: Win
Powder: IMR4350 RL 22
Charge: 63
Primer: F215MGold
Bullet: Nosler Weight: 100 Velocity: 3542
Firearm: Weatherby Accumark MK V Action Barrel Barrel Length: 26
Comments: Caliber is based on the 264 win mag case necked down to 257. Tight neck & only .050 freebore. OAL 3.265 Cosistently shoots groups of 1/5 or less at 100yds allowing for ample cooling between 3 shot groups. Shilen Match Stainless Barrel. I had reamer special made. Harvested a 300lb black bear last fall at 375 yds(1 shot) I call it the 257 Lazer

Maybe you could e-mail this guy for particulars?

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 7mm Remington Magnum,run it through a 257 Weatherby sizer die,trim off a tad and fireform,and you have a perfect 257 Weatherby Magnum case.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger #1 rebarreled by Arnold Arms (now out of business) to a 257 Arnold Mag. it is the 7mm or 264 mags necked down to 25. I might be able to dig up the load data if your still interested. I shot that barrel out and now that same Ruger wears a 25 WSM barrel. I get about 150 fps less in the WSM than I did in the Arnold.
Arnold 120 Gr. Partition = 3400 FPS
25 WSM 115 Gr. Ballistic tip = 3300 FPS

Posts: 16 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matthew! The very nerve of you challenging the instant mythology that the smaller WSM case will yeild more velocity than the larger belted case! Shame on you! Don't you know that happily propagandized rifle enthusiasts everywhere will be shocked and disappointed, like little children learning that there is no Santa Claus, to find that smaller cases have less, not more, velocity potential, no matter how squatty they appear!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Encoreman '
You Mentioned Barreling An "Encore" Not A Rifle
What Length Barrel Did You Have In Mind ?
Normal Pistol Barrels Would Gain Little Advantage
Of Such An Overbore Case
Have You Considered .257JDJ Or .257 Roberts
I Shoot A .257 Ackley ,But That Is A 26" Rifle
Just Looks Like 25-7Mag Would Waste A Lot Of
Powder In A Pistol Length Barrel

Posts: 80 | Location: TEXASVILLE | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek

Well if it makes all the shocked little kiddies out there feel better I'm getting completely adaquate velocity out of the WSM and killer accuracy. My barrel will probably last a little longer and I'm using less powder than the belted case. I personally don't think 150 FPS. is worth losing sleep over. I see a lot of people in the forum that are very insulted by the new short magnums. Nobody is going to take away your belted magnums. Those of us that are smart enough to realize all the short magnum hype may not be exactly accurate, but still think they're worth shooting aren't hurting anyone. Those people who believe everything the manufacturers print probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway. The shooting and hunting crowds are very oppinionated. That's what fuels most of the discusions in the forum here and makes it so interesting to participate in. Sometimes I think people get a little carried away condemning things just because they personally don't have any use for them.

Ok I'll step down off my soap box now.

Best regaurds to all.

Mat with one T.

Posts: 16 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<encoreman>
posted
all the info is great! good site with good people. I have just been looking for something differn't. This is going to be a rifle barrel. I don't mind making up amno as Ilike to reload. I hadn,t here of this round the 25-7mag. I was also looking at 25gibbs. I mostly deer hunt and just looking for a round that is differn't from my friends.

one of us
posted Hide Post
encoreman, I am with you all the way. That's why I am building a 240 wby mag, 26 inch barrel, I like it's awesome ballistics potential, for both varmints and deer, and it is something you dont see many shooting. That appeals to me very much.

Regarding the shortmags, I have been somewhat of a critic myself, but, I do believe of the current ones released, I like the 270 WSM. I would be very interested in a 257 WSM, or a 6.5 WSM size cartridge. I have one pet pieve with rifle manufacturers though, I want something with a long enough barrel to generate optimum ballistics with a given cartridge. While the rave seems to be ultra light rifles, I have done my share of long range, high elevation western mule deer hunting, and I want ballistics capability. As an example, the 7mm08, and 260 Rem are good cartridges, but I want a 24 inch barrel to take max advantage of their ballistics potential. Rifle manufacturers need to realize that not all of us are in the ultra light camp. Perhaps that is also why I am not overly impressed with the new short mag fad.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Faulgur

I totally agree on the barrel length issue. I would rather carry a pound or two more and have the steady shootability and added performance of a longer barrel. That's why my Ruger #1 above had a 28" barrel. I guess that makes me a hypocrit, because I wasn't worried about 150 FPS in my entry above but I'll add a couple of inches of rifle barrel to gain less than that in velocity. Oh well, nobody's perfect.