Find
Notify
Tools

New Model 7
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
So I am a big fan of the Model 7s, and see where Remington is now offering the stainless synthetic in 6mm Rem, which I grew up hunting with in a Model 7 youth. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the quality of these new remingtons. I of course have heard the quality is down, but I haven't found a remington to to feel. All the gun shops around here are selling the cheapest rifles because that's where the demand is. Thanks for any input.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Warehouse has clearanced the 6mm Rem for $599. My local store has one that I was just about to pull the trigger on when I stumbled upon a new SS Kimber 84M Hunter for the same amount.

I only have one other Model Seven, an older three hole version, and other than the newer version's seemingly cheaper plastic stock, it seemed to function just as smoothly as my old model. Can't tell you much more than that.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have a synthetic stock off of a mid 1990s Model 7 SS that may be a better one. Also have a lead on a laminated stock off a model 7 for a reasonable price. I think I am gonna go ahead and order one. At the very worst I have a stainless 7 action to build.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That's the same stock I have. I like it better than the new style. Don't know if it's better but I like it. Good luck, I like the 6mm Rem.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Found it on Cheap Guns Online for 590 plus shipping. By the time I get it in my hands it will be $635. Thank goodness I've got a lot of brass saved up, pretty hard to find loaded ammo around here for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago Hornady made a run of 6mm brass, should still be available.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I think it is limited production. They make a run and stop and when it's gone it's gone. Midway has Federal 100gr partitions for 22.94 a box. Backordered but thats a stupid good price. Got enough brass to last me a little while. Supposed to get the rifle today. Kinda weirded out as the shipping info says it weighs 4.2 pounds when the rifle alone weighs 6.5 and they company hasn't charged my credit card yet. Hopefully it's all good. If not I'll let capital one fight it.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Got the rifle today. The function of the rifle feels as good as my older Model 7s. Trigger isn't as good, but I'll see how the adjustment goes before I put a replacement.

One thing that was disappointing was the overall condition of the rifle out of the box. Couple areas of discoloration (surface rust??) and the crevices around the recoil lug had grime and dust in them. The stock is pretty flimsy and the recoil pad has a very poor fit (1/8" overhang at the bottom, top is fairly flush. Maybe I am being too picky, but I don't recall Remington having these issues with others I have bought.

It cleaned up nicely however. May put my old stock on it and see if it's any better. Happy to have this rifle though. Love me some 6mm Rem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Trigger isn't as good, but I'll see how the adjustment goes before I put a replacement.

The new triggers have all of the screws glued in with cyanoacrylate (super glue) and threadlocker. Very difficult to loosen. Heat needed and some acetone. Probably factory set between 4.5 and 6 lbs. A lot of sear engagement. Minimum overtravel. If you can get them loose and know what you are doing you can get a safe, sweet light trigger. The insides are lubed with dry graphite so don't pour oil in it. The sear is oil impregnated sintered metal. No lube needed there either. If you have the adjustable trigger model it can add up to two extra pounds + fully screwed in. It's essentially an extra weight of pull adjustment.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's an adjustable trigger. I have done a few trigger jobs on the old Rem trigger with really good results. This one lightened down pretty good, so we will see how it shoots. Not expecting a target rifle out of it, but hoping it surprises me.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Well finally found time to shoot after I got the scope mounted. I thought I had a box of rem corelockts to use to break it in but didn't, so had to use my 20 of my test loads to break it in. Nothing incredible, but accuracy seems to be at least on par with my other 7s. Recoil is non-existent. I let my lady friend shoot it (first time she's pulled the trigger on a centerfire) and she loved it. Hopefully I can get her to keep at it and let her take a deer this fall.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am beginning to love the Model Seven. I bought one a few weeks ago in .300 SAUM and just this past weekend got my scope mounts in. I can't decide if I want a 4.5-14x50 Leupold VXL on it or a 3-9x36 Swarovski. The previous owner must have done some sort of trigger job to it because it has no creep and 2lb trigger. I took the stock off to inspect and it looks like a factory trigger to me.

The short action looks great to me, and it feels great to carry. I can't wait to go shoot it.

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote