New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm br
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How well would this perform as a hunting rifle can you build this to be a repeater in a bolt rifle?

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willi, there are two flavors of 6mmBR. One (which I have) is designed to shoot 68-70 grain bullets)and is primarily a benchrest round. The faster twist rifle is designed to shoot 107 grain bullets and is essentially a long range round. You could probably build a repeater but it is a short fat round. You could buy a RBLP action (right bolt left port) and probably shoot pretty quickly. Others will add more I am sure. Generally the bullets used have been target bullets rather than hunting bullets. Try posting on the Benchrest and Target forum.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the tricks in making a 6mm BR repeater, is to get it to feed from a magazine - not the easiest task given the short and fat case... Luckily, Mike Bryant has an article about modifying the mag of a short M700 to 6mm BR...

http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/6BRMagazine.htm

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in using a Savage Rifle as your basis, supposedly the 6BR will feed fine through their new center feed magazine design.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how does this caliber perform compared to the other 6mm's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Willi, others will correct me but the main itch that the 6mmBR is designed to scratch is accuracy. It was originally developed when 6mmPPC brass was very hard to get. The 6mmBR cartridge does not compete very successfully against the PPC in BR competition, however in it's long range incarnation it is very successful in 600 yard egg shoots, 1000 yard competition etc. So, while I guess you could use it to hunt, that was not it's main purpose. You have to ask: what do I plan to hunt, and then go from there. There ar eplenty of other 6mm. but I am not personally familiar with them and don't really favor them. For deer I go with a 257R or a 7x57 etc.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks peter. I have read how accurate it is as br cartridge and was wondering what it took to apply it as a hunting round

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It has plenty of oomph and more than enough accuracy to hit and kill deer of about 200 pounds and under out to 300 yards...IF you are talking broadside shots and relatively open terrain.

The open terrain caveat is not because of any positive or negative brush-bucking attributes, but whether you can see to give the deer a quick second one if your first shot wounds and he/she decides to travel.

My own considerations if I was thinking about hunting deer with the 6 BR would be the feeding reliability of the rifle available to me, and the distance & type of terrain where I was going to hunt.

But mostly, if I had something larger, I would use that instead. You can't kill an animal too dead, but you can fail to use enough gun for the shot at hand.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wrestling with the same problem. I want a 600-yard pie-plate shooter and I have decided on a 6mm Remington. Pac-Nor will build a chambered barrel with a 1 in 8 twist for just under $300 to mount on a long-action Savage that I traded for. I'll be getting a varmint contour barrel because I have a Roberts for deer hunting and don't have to contemplate humping a too-heavy rifle while deer hunting.
It seems that brass is a lot easier to come by for the 6mm, .257, 7x57 than the 6x47. I'll use a bit more powder to do not much more, but ...

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chop, Have some respect for your quarry! I have experience with all your mentioned chamberings and have experience with using those chamberings on deer!! 600 yards? With the 6mm's? Yes I have 6mm's that I MAY TAKE A SHOT AT A 'kill permit' deer at 600 yards with, from a steady rest(bench or the GHD tri-pod stand) but for hunting under normal circumstances, the various 6's ain't gonna cut it at 600 yards!! Especially the short fat ones! Read the first line again!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote