New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know why this topic is called small "calibers", instead of small bores, like the above two topics; big "bore" and medium "bore"?

Slow night here in CO I guess... Big Grin

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....my questions not about the name but why does the forum have a picture of a dead guys hand Confused Eeker....don't you think thats what it looks like ?? Whistling

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And he mixed his empties with his loads - just like Newhall.

Bore is the diameter of the lands whereas caliber is the diameter of the grooves; so it's a result of the small calibers wanting to have a bigger number than if they were listed as bores. It's a Napoleon thing.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought it looked like a dead guy, but I didn't have a better picture to send to Don for consideration.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never noticed before but that is one gnarly looking hand. He's probably just finished an encounter with a grizzly whilst chanting: "It ain't what you shoot, it's where you stick 'em".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
Bore is the diameter of the lands whereas caliber is the diameter of the grooves; so it's a result of the small calibers wanting to have a bigger number than if they were listed as bores. It's a Napoleon thing.

yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Us small caliber guys know that bullet placement is the trump. The big bore guys think high velocity and heavy bullet and magnum in the title is required.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Us small caliber guys know that bullet placement is the trump.

No argument there.

Even with big bore & medium bore!

I own and love all of them; small, medium and large bores. I probably hunt more with small bores than the other two, on deer and antelope: 25.06 and 280.

I am just curious why this title topic is "caliber" instead of "bore".

Too much time on a retired man's mind... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife says I'm a small bore until I start talking about guns or fishing then I become a big bore. I dunno.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, never had a problem with that, never even gave it a thought until you brought it up, shame on ya! quit that!! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I dunno, never had a problem with that, never even gave it a thought until you brought it up, shame on ya! quit that!! jumping

My bad... hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 'dead guy's hand" comment!
That's exactly what it looks like... he lost the fight and couldn't even reload his gun and there he lay.

Zeke