Notify
Tools

WHY THE 25-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
About the only thing "wrong" with the 25'06 (and the 270 Winchester, for that matter) is that it's not a 6.5'06. Wink

On the 25-06? Yeah Mabey..

On the 270win? it should have been fited with .284 bullets, in short it shoulda been a 280win, but sadly that was left to Remington to develop.
Then winchester missed the boat again, by comming up with the 264WinMag,
which if made as a 270Win mag would still be as popular and would have completely stolen the thinder of Remingtons FAR more commercially sucessful 7mmRemMag...

Presuming Winchester didn't just right to 7mm.

A whole lot of woulda/shoulda/coulda's we could discuss.

Just remember that the 25-06 was around as a wildcat for a Long, Long time before Remington commercialized it in '69.

As for 120's? If I want to shot anything that heavy I reach for my 7mmMag and do things with 120's that makes my brother the 257Wby owner annoyed...

quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Geedubya--If I were going to have to limit it to just one (horrors)--my son in law probably summed it up as well as I've heard. He said people can brag on or knock any they want, but if they knock the 30-06 a big light on their forehead comes on that says idiot.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonniemike:
Bartche, What makes 145 magical?

fishingIt is the proportional and similar weight bullet to the 160 gr. .264 bullet.Having used 120gr. bullets on large Mule deer from a 25-06 IMP. I can see where a larger well made cup and core would get the job done better. Had some not so great experiences in the early 70s with factory 120 grainers that were well placed.
The .257 dia. bullets are only .007" smaller in dia.Using 6.5mm & 7mm philosophy, than, there should be heavier bullets in the 25 to parallel the performance of the larger 6.5 bullets. To my way of thinking this would place large capacity 25 caliber cartriges in a whole new catagory without depending on super premium bullet constuction. beer
Additionally a fast twist 25-06 would allow good performance with the longer all copper bullets for varmint. Just one man's cup of tea. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
thumbNever designed to handle a 145gr. bullet. nillyroger

That's right. Let's see..... a 145gr bullet in
.257 caliber. Nope......it's a rifle, not a
missile launcher. BOOM

Well see there! homerI just never knew a rifle wasn't a missle launcher. I guess that holds true for a bow, catapult, sling shot or pea shooter. By golly ***learn something every day. Thank you kindly. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 25-06's are fantastic! Light recoil and lots of reach. However, my 25-06's have taken a back seat to my 25 wssm. Two action sizes smaller and very close ballistic performance.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
About the only thing "wrong" with the 25'06 (and the 270 Winchester, for that matter) is that it's not a 6.5'06. Wink

+1 The only way to improve on the 25-06 or 270 is to make it a 6.5-06. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
I like the .25/06 'cause I could use my 6 gal. bucket full of O.F. '06 length brass.
I don't like the .25/06 'cause it's too much for my '95 Mauser based custom,,,,gotta go .257R or .250 Savage in this one dancing dancing

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
.25-06? I love this caliber!

Its power and effectiveness on medium and even big game is far beyond what I ever thought possible, before I actually acquired and used one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
My 25-06's are fantastic! Light recoil and lots of reach. However, my 25-06's have taken a back seat to my 25 wssm. Two action sizes smaller and very close ballistic performance.

Love the 25WSSM. Hits deer perfectly w. 110gr Accubonds and Interbonds.

IMR4350 and W760 works well but I've gotten great results w. IMR4007SSC. Scoped w. a Conquest its so super light. Zgranted the barrel is .52 at the muzzle (A-Bolt).