New
Find
Notify
Tools

First test batch 25-35 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well this past weekend I finally got out to try my first reloads for my Grandmother's old Winchester 94 in 25-35. Not much for shooting rifles, and generally didn't care about leverguns, but got fascinated with the caliber. Like I said I rarely shoot rifles, and when I do it is usually from a bench, but never shot this gun before so I went out as far as I could clearly see the center dot of the target through the factory buckhorn sites. This is a picture of the 6 rounds I reloaded.

This is the target, circle is 2" in diameter.

I am not a fan of recoil, and this round was a pleasure to shoot. I used factory new Winchester brass, and Hornady 117gr. BTSP--fed the BTSP in one at a time from the top to avoid primer detonation in the tube. I used Federal Large Rifle primers and 19.0 grains of Benchmark. Was amazed at the lack of carbon residue and tarnishing on the cases after firing. Next range trip I will try from a rest at 100 yards and load up some batches in with some slightly increasing powder charges to get the POI aligned with POA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh....my kind of project. Post more please.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
You'll have all kindsa fun with that little carbine. I looked around for a long time to find one, as I'm a .25 fan(atic) and it should fall into line with my .256 Mag M92, .250 Mauser M98, and my Remington M722 .257 Bob.
I haven't been able to find a .25/35, so I took an M94 .32 Special and rebarrelled it to .25/35 AI at 22", bobbed the magazine to 2/3 size, and installed a Redfield receiver sight with Merit adjustable aperature.
Mostly I use Lyman cast 64gr FPRN gas-check bullets, but a lot of 117 Hornady RN bullets have gone downstream, to get ready for a chance at an eatin' mule deer.
I've been able to post a few 1 1/2-2" 3-shot groups at 100yds, but keep most groups below 3", and velocities hang between 2450-2600fps, in my carbine.
The cast bullets at between 1400-2000fps will drop Coke cans at 50yds all day long, offhand.
It's quite a walk-around rifle.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I very pleasantly surprised when I had shot it. Never shot it before and haven't shot a levergun in 2 years now. Which is part of the reason I shot from 15 yards standing unsupported. Wasn't sure how it would perform and that was about the maximum distance that I could clearly see the center dot of the target through the factory buckhorn sights. Will load up a few more test batches, thinking another 5 rounds with the 19gr. of Benchmark then 5 with 19.5grs, and 5 with 20grs. My Hodgdon manual lists a maximum of 21.0grs Benchmark with the 117gr. boolit. Will try these out at 100 yards, and see if I can get some rounds on paper from a bench.

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much experience you have with iron sights, but it's not as hard as it appears.
You need what's called a 6:00 hold (6 o'clock) Your eye can't focus on three different distances at the same time, so...see the front-sight clearly. Your rifle has a bead on top, so see that.
I use a large black bullseye so I can see it when it's out of focus. I even use my reading-glasses to clarify my front bead better. Then put the bead in the bottom-notch of the out of focus buckhorn sight. That's what's known as "drawing a fine bead."
Remember, your intention is to shoot as small a group as possible, not to make it hit at a certain place. You can adjust the sights to hit WHERE you want to.
Personally, I like the group to end up like a figure 8 on top of my front sight, so I can watch my target, if it moves, as I squeeze the trigger.
I use a peep-sight because ya look THROUGH it, without centering the bead. Your eye does THAT automatially.
After you get the aiming down, these rifles are a ball!
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I remember going deer hunting with my dad and another dad and his son once where the other kid had a 25-35. His father was an amateur gunsmith and had come across a 92, I think, in this caliber.

I remember that the other dad and his kid both were the ones that shot deer on that day in the rain. His kid shot one with that 25-35 at around 85 yards and the other dad told us that it's effective range for hunting was about 125 yards. That seemed short ranged to me at the time but I was only 15-16 years old.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I loaded up another 20 rounds last night: 5 with 19 grs., 5 with 19.5 grs, 5 with 20.0 grs, and another 5 with 20.5 grs. Will shoot them in that order and see how they perform at 100 yards. Will try that technique of sight alignment Nevmavrick. Hoping to give them a try this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I see you are using Spitzer bullets. You should consider changing to Flat point, RN or HDY Leverloution rubber tipped bullets. The points of the bullets are on the primers when in the magazine tube. Possibility that they could ignite the forward cartridge from recoil. Just a warning to consider.

I have a Win 1984 SRC .25-35 that was my great grand dads. Made in 1906. Glad you are getting the old gun out.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dukxdog, I will probably get the Hornady 117gr. flat points next. These spitzer I traded some unwanted bullets I had in a batch of stuff given to me, so don't really have any money in them. Figured I just shoot them up--just have to load them from the top and use it as a single shot.

quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
I see you are using Spitzer bullets. You should consider changing to Flat point, RN or HDY Leverloution rubber tipped bullets. The points of the bullets are on the primers when in the magazine tube. Possibility that they could ignite the forward cartridge from recoil. Just a warning to consider.

I have a Win 1984 SRC .25-35 that was my great grand dads. Made in 1906. Glad you are getting the old gun out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to contiue using your levergun like a single shot, try using some Barnes Tipped Triple Shock Bullets at 80 grains. remember no more than one in the magazine at a time. It will "explode" cans and bottles filled with water.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote