THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New to Me 1885 Win in 22 Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Me 1885 Win in 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted
I gave in to temptation at the Tulsa gun show last weekend and picked up a like new Win 1885 in 22 Hornet. I had recently sold my Martini Cadet in the same caliber so was kind of looking to fill the void.

I even have an older Leupold 3-9 Vari X Compact scope with adjustable objective that fits nicely in the factory rings.

Any one with Win 1885 experience in the 22 Hornet have load recommendations or experience with factrory offerings?

I'm looking forward to taking some small varmints and even taking it to the prairie dog fields this summer with the 1885.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've no experience with the Win 1885, but I do have a bit with the Hornet.

For handloads, try hogdgon Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer. This combo has worked very well in many Hornets.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chopperguy... I have one of these neat little 1885 Low Walls in 22 Hornet...I bought a box of Winchester 45gr/HP's from Walmart and got 3 shot groups from .660 to just under a inch...I also did a little loading with Lil'Gun starting with Hodgdon's mid load 12.5gr with 50gr bullet,WSR primer and a longer OAL for the loaded round...My groups were just above 1/2" but I also got pierced primers about 30% of the time...Vel. was all over the place...
This was the first time I have loaded for such a small case and learned to start at min. load listed in the reloading manual move up 1/10th of a grain at a time....That was in the fall of 2006 and I haven't had time to get back to the Hornet...On my list for this summer though...
Another tip besides using small pistol primers as k-22hornet mentioned above (I have read) is to use LEE collet dies...
Good luck!

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

I'll be working on some loads this weekend and getting to shooting it a bit next week, I hope. If it gets warm enough and the snow melts! Frowner

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chopper,

I have three 22 Hornets, and have done a lot of load developing with them. Lil-Gun and H-110 are the most accurate powders, along with the 45 grain Hornet bullets. I tested all of the available bullets in the lighter weights, and none worked as well as the one mentioned. Pointy bullets do not shoot for me anyway.
H-110 is more accurate in my rifles than Lil-Gun, however many Hornet owners get good accuracy with it. So, give it a try.
10.2 grains of H-110 is my magic powder charge. I crimp bullets with a Lee crimp die, and I use small pistol primers. Small rifle primers are too hot.
I love the looks of the 1885 Low Wall. That has got to be one of the most beautiful rifles ever made. Good luck with yours.

Don

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Well, I loaded several different bullets and loads for testing if WINTER EVER ENDS here. Mad

I've loaded 35 & 40 grain loads for now and have a couple different factory loadsing to try.

I'll order some 45 gr bullets for loading and testing also.

Nice thing about the Hornet, you can do a lot of shooting for a lot less cash and recoil!