THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    64 gr Nosler Bonded 223 bullet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

64 gr Nosler Bonded 223 bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one here had any experience with the new Nosler 64 Gr Bonded Solid Base 223 bullet against deer and or hogs?

I recently got my order in for 500 before Shooters Pro Shop dried up.

I have a lot of experience with the Speer 70gr bullet and 1/12 twist rifles.

My wife bought me a new M4 Forgery Colt last November. I think the 1/9 twist is over stressing this bullet and wanted to change to a tougher one. So when SPS had these available I picked up 500. (I think the higher RPM's of the 1/9 twist is just too much for the older designed bullet)

Any experience with the Nosler or the similar bear claw products?

Hank

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Why do you think the 70gr Speer is overstressed?

Have not used this exact bullet. In fact if you just ordered these a few days ago it may be partially your fault. Eeker I saw them available while at work, waited to see what bullets I had in the cupboard and when I logged in to order some they were gone.

I've used 60gr Nos PT, on deer with good results. I've also tried the Win 64gr PP, and like them as much as the 60gr partition. I don't see why the bonded from Nosler wouldn't be perfectly acceptable.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigNate,when I shot some of the 70 gr Speers out of the new rifle. It looked like a gray tracer round going down range. At the 25 yd range I was getting half moons of lead spray around the entrance holes. Obviously the exposed lead was being slung off of the bullet by the torque of the rpms. This never happened with my 1/12 twist barrels, even when I used the 20 inch version and ran the speed up to 3000 fps.
So when I saw these bullets, I had no mercy on the slow of mouse people and ordered 500 of them. 3 minutes later and they went "Out of Stock"
It should be a good bullet and I will give it a try this year for sure.

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot a few deer with the 70 grain Speer out of the 22/250, the bullets seemed soft and although killed great I looked for bullets that held together better.
I've never used the 64 grain bonded but it sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they will do well.
Best results for me were with Barnes 52 and 53 grain monometals, exit wounds every time from any angle.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Years ago I shot a few deer with the 70 grain Speer out of the 22/250, the bullets seemed soft and although killed great I looked for bullets that held together better.

Snellstrom, I found that the 223 and 222 Rem with the 70 gr Speer were great if the bullet was driven between 2550 and 2850 FPS. The bullets would and still will break down deer with shoulder shots. This was done with rifles using the 1/12 twist. If I shot deer with this bullet at 3000 fps I killed them but was getting very large entrance wounds and shallow penetration. I would get through a shoulder but just find fragments in the other one. 2750 out of my original shorty killed very dependably and I never had the bullet fail me at this speed.

I am hoping the more modern bullet will work better on hogs and kill the deer as well as the Speer does.

PS: The Speer and this bullet should make a great personal defense round.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The Win 64gr PP will hold up to 1/7 for sure.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 70gr speer bullet only for a short time out of my 1:7" twist carbine. So far I have yet to see what you described about over stressing the bullet. I will have to pay closer attention next time I shoot them at paper. They are pretty accurate from the 16" barrel. Another bonded bullet you might try is the 62gr Swift Scirocco II. They are on the spendy side but they are also very accurate and hold together very well.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me get this correct you are pushing a 70gr bullet out of 223 rem at 3000fps.

What powder and what pressures are you running.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am away from my load data and it was 20 years ago since I hunted with the 20" AR-15. It was a charge of Win 748 and the velocity was recorded by an Oehler model 33. I think it was 25 to 26 grs of 748 with cci- SRM primer. Bullet was seated out as far as the clip would allow. I do remember that I found some old reloads from 1970's and they seemed short. I checked my notes, and as the throat wore then I would lengthen each batch of reloads to match until the rounds were limited in OAL by the clip and not the throat.

When I tried to use this load in a Remington model 7 I had to seat the bullet so deep to fit the throat that I had to re-work the loading all together and put only 22 to 24 grs of powder in the round. Again this is from memory on the charges so please do not take them at face value.

With the 20 inch BBL I was definitely recording 2950 to 3000 FPS and was seeing signs of bullet failure on shoulders of deer, when the same load was chronographed out of the 16" BBL I got readings around 2750 to 2800 fps.

As far as the rifling twist and the gray streaks, these bullets are 20 + years old. Stocked up on them when the Clintonistas came to power. The exposed lead may have slightly oxidized and this could cause the observed gray streaks. We did kill a hog with the new rifle and the pig expired quickly since it was a 25 yd shot to his forehead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with bonded or partition 22 caliber high velocity bullets for deer and such..The 22's kill with velocity and basically explosive effect that destroys tissue and causes a lot of hemorage, that is why they kill so effective in "most" instances. They impress folks when they work..but if they do not kill instantly then you have to track them and 22s seldom leave a blood trail, the partitions and bonded core bullets actually don't leave blood trails either, the small holes will plug up with fat or grime, whatever. Even the 6mms are bad about this.

Using a bonded or partition adds to penetration and is counter productive to the above..The best bullet I have used on deer in the 222, 223 and 22-250 is the 60 gr. Hornady in HP or SP, they are explosive but have decent penetration ..

I don't much like the 22s for big game hunting except under certain or controled circumstances as they cause too much blood shot trama that I don't really care for and we eat wild game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looked like a gray tracer round going down range. At the 25 yd range I was getting half moons of lead spray around the entrance holes. Obviously the exposed lead was being slung off

I have seen the same thing from bullets fired from sedate velocity centerfires. In all cases the range was 25 yards. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with over stressed jackets. However they were RN Speer bullets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mini mkX with it's 1-11 ( or there abouts) twist, with 27 grns Win 748 and a 70 grn speer does 2980 fps. Never shot anything but groups with it.