THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5 x 55 and 120 grain rem core-loc

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 55 and 120 grain rem core-loc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have recipe for getting 120 gr. core-loc's to shoot . I know they are not a match bullet, 120 nosler and sierra are good with RL22 but rem's not so good 1 1/4- 1 1/2 groups 1-8 twist pre-64 mod 70 douglas barrel. have a bunch of the remingtons and would like to use them.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't know what type rifle you have, but if it is a modern action, I have used IMR4831 with great results, although mine is a 1:9 twist. I have gone as far as 46+ grains, but work up SLOWLY. I have seen almost 2900 fps with no pressure signs, but I don't know if the faster twist will matter.

I hope it helps.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks larry its a custom mod 70 winchester.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shockerWOW! I looked at 90 some different Loads I have used with the 6.5 X 55 and found that I have never shot a lighter bullet than 129 grains.
Sorry I can't help You roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
In my 6.5x55, M96 I load 44 grains of Reloader 17 with several different 120 grain bullets (Sierra Gameking, Sierra Matchking, Speer. ), I get 2955 average fps and exceptional accuracy. Play with the seating depth for me it's the difference between .7" five shots groups and 1.5" five shot groups at 100 yards, my OAL is 3.065".
IMR 4350 works well for me too with 120's and especially 140's.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks actually i've never shot anything heavier than 120's I have never tracked a deer with either the nosler bt, or sierra pro hunter, just want to try the core -lok's, nosler pretty much bang flop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 1/4- 1 1/2 groups

That equals dead deer out past 300 yards

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so right. but I would just like to do better.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Agreed, nothing instills confidence in your rifle like cutting your groups down to under an inch.
Besides if it will shoot under an inch why be happy with groups twice the size.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot the Cor-lokt bullets so I don't really have any first hand experience with them. I have shot the 120gr Sierra Pro Hunters and the Nosler ballistic tips. My prefered powder is like you with RL-22. I have however tried Varget and IMR-4895 as once upon a time I had lots of both. It's been awhile but I think the Varget load was the better of the two. 35gr is listed as Minimum and 39gr is Max. I am sure I was closer to the upper limit but I don't recall the exact number.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks don't have any varget ,but do have 4895 gunsmith friend has an accurate 120 sierra load with 4320.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, is the distance to the lands the same with the core-loc as the loads that shot well with the other bullets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no. I have tweaked seating depth on all found depth that works best now looking to change powders may be bassackwards!

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Mine are light loads for a M96 120hpbt Sierra:
I4350 - 46gr - 2735 chrono 19" barrel
H414 - 41gr most accurate - 2450 chrono - 19" barrel
H380 - 40gr

120sp:
RL15- 35.5

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote