THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    the best way to build a 257 wthby on a remington 700?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the best way to build a 257 wthby on a remington 700?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just wanting to know what size action i need to build this? and could i go as light as a number three contour 25 -26 long since the recoil shouldn't be bad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any standard long action Remington with the magnum bolt face is only a rebarrel away. I think your ideas re barrel contour and length are spot on. I have a 6.5-06 on a Pac-Nor #4 that was turned down to match the walnut foreend lines; it is heavier than really needed but matches the lines of the rifle very well. If building a 257Wby on that action I'd go #3, 26" long and put it in a Bansner stock, assuming fiberglass. Actually, a #2 contour would probably balance a bit better in that setup, and would be heavy enough for awesome accuracy. The quality of the barrel, and the skill of the smith, mean more than barrel weight. More than you asked for, but with a #2 contour, and a Bansner, and assuming a 3-9X40 size scope, the complete outfit should weigh in about 7 1/2 pounds, and be an open-country death ray. Hope this helps.

[ 02-22-2003, 01:42: Message edited by: RickF ]

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote