New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm or 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just this weekend I was at a gun show and I found a 6mm barrel that looked like it really wanted to be switched with my 22-250. The price was right and the barrel looked good. I was just wondering of some pros and cons on each calibre. I would like to shoot coyotes, wolves and deer with this. I am pretty sure that I will end up switching the barrels and then just buying another 22-250 because they seem more available. But anyway lets here the news.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If I was going to shoot deer with it and thought I might ever have to take a shot from anywhere other than directly from the side of the deer, personally I'd much rather have the 6m/m. Probably better variety of hunting bullets available for the 6.

But, and I know this WILL get me flamed for daring to say it, I've never had roaring success with the accuracy of the .22-250's I've owned (at least a dozen of them, first one in 1959, still have two). Always had better luck with either the Swift, the .221, .222 or .223, or any of the 6 m/m's. Probably luck of the draw, who knows?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schmaus

I have a 22-250 and a 6MM Remington. I the wind the 6MM will beat the 22-250 very badly. I know people use the 22-250 for deer, in my opinion it not humain to use for that perpose. You didn't say what contour the barrel was? That would make a great differance. Remington Varmint contour doesn't make for a very handy carry rifle. My 6MM has a heavy contour a Winchester Varminter contour which is basically a 6 contour. Great off the bench and for PD's no way a carry rifle. Weight is near 10 pounds unscoped.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the 6mm, the only regret you will have is that you should have gotten it sooner.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the 6 mm has better wind bucking ability and better penetrating ability than the 22-250. The accuracy on both can be excellent and the recoil is very tolerable. They are both quite acceptable for deer sized game provided the proper bullet is used and you are aware of your gun's limitations. In either one I'd limit myself to head, neck or broadside lung/heart shots.

As far as the 22-250 is concerned, I've had two (still have one) and the accuracy of both was excellent. I've also taken 2 deer with a 22-250. In the first, the first shot hit a leg nearly taking it off. The second shot was a rear lung shot through the diaphragm and did a lot of damage stopping the deer within about 50 yards. The second deer was taken on a broadside shot at 360 yards through both lungs (in one side and out the other) and dropped in it's tracks. If used correctly, the 22-250 is perfectly adequate for deer.

The second deer was interesting in that it was taken out of a herd of 6 deer. The shot deer went down instantly with no ruckus and the shot didn't seem to bother the rest of them. The didn't take off until I was about 100 yards from them on my way to their fallen comrade. I surmise that from that distance, a 22-250 really didn't seem that loud to them.

In my opinion, accuracy trumps power but both are good.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool thanks for the info. I think I will get the 6mm into action soon.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not say what kind of action you are puting the barrel on. The 6mm is quite a bit longer than the 22-250, you might want to be sure the cartridge will fit the action ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having had both, given a choice between a 22-250 and a 6mmRem, the 6mm is FAR more versatile.

The only "issue" with the 6mm is that most manufacturers
chamber the 6mmRem in "short" (I.E. 308win) length actions
and the cartridge simply doesn't "fit" in those actions.

the 6mmRem is a member of the _x57mm family
(7x57, 8x57, 257Rob). it's a cartridge that simply works better in a "standard" (8x57 or 30-06) length action.

the problem is that in many rifles bullets seated out to be close to the lands won't fit in the magazine box.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh dammit, good call on the action. It will be going into a model 700 short action, I will have to do some poking around to find out if it will work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another caution is what's the twist? The standard 6mm Remington twist as introduced was very slow and wouldn't stabilize 100 grain cup and core type bullets, part of the reason the .243 beat it in the end giving up 100 fps, it could stabilize those heavy bullets. That would leave you with a 6mm varmint rifle not a dual purpose rifle.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, the short action, short magazine, forcing bullet seating deeper thus farther from the lands is why I'm building my 6mm on a Savage M110 action which was originally a .30-06.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Planemech:
Another caution is what's the twist? The standard 6mm Remington twist as introduced was very slow and wouldn't stabilize 100 grain cup and core type bullets, part of the reason the .243 beat it in the end giving up 100 fps, it could stabilize those heavy bullets. That would leave you with a 6mm varmint rifle not a dual purpose rifle.

Does it say 6MM or .244 on the barrel?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
Oh dammit, good call on the action. It will be going into a model 700 short action, I will have to do some poking around to find out if it will work.

Well it will "work" because remington has only ever built 6mm's on a short action.

But with SOME bullets they are quite a bit from the lands when loaded to maximum magazine length.

I've always wanted one on a long action simply to give myself more freedom to load them long...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Planemech:
Another caution is what's the twist? The standard 6mm Remington twist as introduced was very slow and wouldn't stabilize 100 grain cup and core type bullets[QUOTE]

Uhhh... No.

The faster twist was what makes a 6mmRem a 6mm Rem and NOT a 244Rem.

If I were building a dedicated varmint rifle I'd rather have the slower twist, because IMO for varmint work the 75gr bullets are the cat's ass. (incidently a popular place FOR those 75gr bullets if you believe the guys on the small game forum.)

Another "hidden" advantage to the 6mmRem on a long action is that when you start to shoot the throat out you can always ream it to 240Gibbs and really impress, groundhogs, deer and your friends (If singing their hair while watching you shoot impresses them Red Face

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm works fine in a M-700 short action , and don't let anyone horseshit you otherwise .

Don't let the distance to the lands bother you , as most any M-700 in that caliber will shoot lights out , reguardless .

And if installing a takeoff or aftermarket barrel , your 'smith should ream the throat short enough to enable bullet seating close enough to the lands .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem is just about perfect for the 1909 Arg. Mauser.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I just put a 6mmRem. barrel on a Model 16
Savage, which is a SS short action. Granted, I
set the barrel according to my FL sizer dies,
but I am putting 65 gr VMax load, into the
lands, for some of my load development. I do
not intend to use this rifle for anything but
varmint weight bullets, so the short action
is not a limitation, in that context. If
I were to use this barrel in a long range
target, or big game, context, then maybe a long
action may be a better choice, to seat bullets
to the lands. For long range, I use my
.25-06Rem Big Grin

So a short action will work for 90% of what
most would want a 6mm to do. As stated,
Remington only puts 6mmRem. into short actions.
My Savage Model 16 has a fairly spaceous blind
magazine, in it, and so far, the action,
and the magazine, are not limitations for me.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote