THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Maximum Point Blank Range--6.5X55

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maximum Point Blank Range--6.5X55
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
What would the MPBR for a 6.5X55 with the 155-156 grain bullets be?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you input the data, the JBM program will calculate it for you.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj_basic/traj_basic.html

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
What muzzle velocity, sight height, and zero are you talking about? These are important variables necessary for an accurate calculation. For example in 6.5x55 a 160 gr Sierra@2400fps, a sight heigth of 1.5 inches, sighted 2 inches his at 100yds gives a zero of 175 yards. Take an average of an 8 innh kill zone the MPBR is 225 yds according to the Sierra balistic software. Change any of the variables and the results will change. This includes bullet type. I play around a lot with these calcualtions befrore I begin to load. It is IMHO interesting in addition to being a good predictor of performance. I then load for accuracy and after finding a satisfactory load I recheck the balistics calcualtions for MPBR. Sounds complicated but it really is not. The Sierra infinity Suite is available from MIdway and other at a very decent price for the value it provides.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do those of you who use the MPBR factor group size into your calculations?

one of us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH,

If you go here Pointblank Software and download the software you can do as many calculations as you like.
Hope this helps,

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nordrseta, yes, I consider group size, to a point. If the rifle is a 2" gun, and the MPBR is 300 yards, then I make sure that it is a 6" gun at 300 and then go from there. Even if the mid-point is 3" high at 200, then center of a 4" circle is 3" high, that will still kill cleanly, as will a 6" circle 3" low. But then I don't have any 2" rifles. That is where accurate rifles build confidence. If it is a 1" rifle and the rest is good and steady, that changes the ball game, distance wise.

I aim center forward chest anyway, not low and hope to hit the heart. I would just as soon have both lungs, or a shoulder as definite rather than a "could be" heart shot.

333-OKH, the Point Blank software is good.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote