New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 17 Rem barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this previously in Gunsmithing, but probably should have posted here.

I've got an old 17Rem that I will be changing the barrel on, most likely replacing with a Douglas. They offer twist rates of 6, 9, 10, and 12. I plan on shooting 25gr bullets. What twist rate would you recommned?

Also, how about contour? Do I really need a heavy barrel for this small caliber?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about necking it up to 20cal with a 1-12 Duglas. the 20's seem to be less prone to fouling problems than the 17.
Just a thought.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the most part fouling problems with a good smooth after market barrel are a thing of the past. I regularly shoot upwards of 75rds. of moly coated bullets without cleaning through a Douglas SS barrel. A factory Rem. barrel while not quite as accurate will take 50 or more shots without any noticeable change in groups. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much for your old barrel?

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Tony Rumore>
posted
1:10 will stabalize up to the Starke 30gr, but is too slow for the Berger VLD's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about contour? I was thinking #4. Should I go thicker?

Pokerplayer, I sent you an email.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me the contour is directly to how you shoot so if you sit on the bench and blaze through rounds one after the other then you need to go with a heavy contour. If you shoot 1-2 times then nothing for a while then a light contour will be just fine.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro,
Like I said my Sako has a #4(.675 at the muzzel).
It's one of my favorite ground squirrel guns. Some times the shooting gets hot and heavey and it does just fine. But remember, get your barrel too hot and you'll cook the throat. Actually my Rem M700 with standard barrel does great on the squirrels to. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the 10 twist, just in case you decide to try 30's-- by the way, Todd Kindler's (www.smallcalibernews.com--I think) producing a 30 gr. "Gold" that is the highest B.C. 30 available these days, and afriend is shooting that bullet out of a wildcat .17PPC case at over 4000 with sub1/2" gps. consistently. He killed a couple coyotes at over 500 yds. this winter with that bullet. Remember 5 gr. sounds like very little, but that's 20% more bullet weight, equivalent to the difference between the 30 cal. 180 gr. and 150 gr.

P.S. Westminster, I'm from MD, and in the early 80's used to shoot chucks out around Mt. Airy. Man I miss those days. Are you chucking around Westminster??

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looks like the 1/10 might be the best for what I want to do with it.

sscoyote, you wouldn't believe this place now. Homes popping up everywhere, so shooting lanes have become hard to find when shooting a rifle. Carroll County is one of the few left that allow rifle. I expect that to change in the next few years to shotgun and blackpowder only. Also, the farmers have really restricted who they allow to hunt on their land. The only guys I know that can hunt them consistently have been friends with the farmers for years. I can shoot chucks off my deck out to about 700 yds (not that I actually shoot that far), but there are only so many you can kill in one area. I've got allot of leg work to do this summer to get in good with the farmers.

Speaking of which, what do you guys normally do to win over the confidence of a landowner that you wish to hunt on? I grew up on a farm in PA, so I know their concerns. I'm very respectful and practice good hunting safety, but they don't know me from Adam. What has worked for you guys?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro, Sounds like you've got all the requirements you'll ever need to win those guys over--respect, of course, after that it's all up to them.
Back in the early '90's I had an article in Fur,Fish,Game magazine called, "Woodchuck Shooting in MD", in which i detailed a farmer actually giving me a bag full of corn for shooting his chucks-- soundslike things have changed a lot these days. That saddens me more than you know--well, maybe you do know.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<jim saubier>
posted
1-9 twist is the recommended twist for the 30 grain bullets. Not to say that some folks haven't been able to stabilize some 30 grain bullets in the 10 twists. And Todd Kindler's 30 grain boattail is fantastic for reaching out there. The BC on them is incredible.

Todd recommends a 9 twist for his 30's too. I'd opt for the faster twist just in case.