New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 rem mag improved?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a nice Sako L461 heavy barreled rifle in 222 Remington Magnum and am just curious is there an imporoved version of this calibre?
how much improvement in ballistics?
does it effect accuracy?
I don't realy think i would change it just curious
also is it possible to find year of manufacture for Sako rifles?

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
My memory may be correct without looking in Ackleys book as I was interested if Ackley had anything to say about a 223 AI. He did say that the 222 RM was of little improvement and was done only on request.

I would not touch a rifle with any improved reamer unless the chamber was defective in a particular way that needed that metal removed. If there is something "wrong" with your chamber and there is! It's not popular. Then have it rechambered to the 223 Rem. Otherwise if you have brass leave it be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is an "Improved" version of the 222Mag, but it's hard to "improve" an already great one!!! There is somebody here...and I can't remember who, that shoots the 222Mag AI! I shoot the 222Mag and would never think about trying to change it! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The great interest in 222 Rem Mag improved is in its use to rechamber 223 TC factory barrels to a longer and more powerful round. I recommend that you visit Mike Bellm's website to read up on the 222 RMI.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Ackley, loads can be increased 5% in the improved version. Hardly seems worth it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mike Johnson frequents this board some, and he wrote a chapter in Steve Hanson's book, "Varmint Hunter's Odyssey", and had some info.`on that one.

Oh yeah, almost forgot there was an article on that cartridge in Small Caliber News awhile back. Get ahold of Todd Kindler @ www.smallcaliber.com

[ 10-14-2003, 09:38: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I really don't want to change the rifle like i said just curious
what are your favorite loads for you 222 mag?
I am currently loading 28gr of benchmark with 55gr remington coreloks and powerloks if i do my bit it gets down around 1/2" so far this is the most accurate load i have tried
I have found that my rifle will not shoot 50gr bullets at all the go every where but were it is pointed I am thinking of trying some 60gr just to see how well it shoots

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never known anyone to use a .222Rem. Mag. Imp. I have a Sako single shot in .222Rem. Mag. with a Hart 24" SS varmint barrel. I've had it for some years now and would never part with it. What a sweetheart. A little more powerful than the .223 (not much), and very accurate to boot. I was sorry when Remington discontinued it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote