THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    TRADEWINDS Rifles (Redone Mausers) any info??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TRADEWINDS Rifles (Redone Mausers) any info??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a guy call today and said he had a rifle I tried to buy from his FIL 15-20 years ago. It's a boltaction in 222Magnum. I honestly do not remember it but he's going to bring it to me on Tuesday to look at. I cannot find any info much on them and what I do find doesn't list them in 222Mag. Anybody know anything about them? If it's decent even though ammo is scarce, not a problem! I only have about 1200 pieces of brass for the chambering being that I have one in 40XBR configuration that i the most accurate rifle I own, just a bit awkward to use as a walking varminter!! Big Grin Big Grin Your experiences and info would be appreciated. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GD:

The 1971 Guns Illustrated shows the .222 Mag. as one of the standard calibres in the Tradewinds 600 Varmint Rifle (the others were .222, .223, .22-250, .243, and .308). According to de Haas (Bolt Action Rifles), these rifles were made in Germany by Kriegeskorte & Co. (Krico). He considered it an excellent action. From his photo, the front of the bolt looks similar to that of the push-feed Win. M70.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple Tradewinds/Kricos and liked everything about them except the plastic bolt plug/end-cap and the the triangular shape of the forearm. The 22-250 that I sold awhile back was very accurate, particularly so for a sporter weight rifle, but the 1 in 14" ROT limited it to bullets under 60 grains.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds was just a marketer and some of their products were better than others. However, the little Krico, which was earlier sold under its own name, was a classy little rifle of very high quality.

It seems as if the problem for marketing Kricos under their own (abbreviated) name was that "Krico" sounded like some Asian-made toy or game rather than the serious Old World-quality rifle that it was. That's too bad -- perhaps the excellent rifle would still be in production today if it had had better marketing.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds was a cheaper store brand.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds WAS NOT a store brand. Tradewinds was the importer in Washington that handled Husqvarnas before S&W became the importer and Kricos after that. They were not a large importer with a large marketing/sales staff, so Tradewinds rifles aren't evenly distributed across the whole U.S. There seem to be lots more Tradewinds rifle in the northwestern U.S. then anywhere east of the Mississippi River.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Tradewinds imported and marketed some very high quality guns. I think they did have a line of shotguns that were probably Spanish-made (and maybe a Japanese autoloader?) that were of entry level quality, but their Husqvarnas and Kricos were top notch.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Tradewinds WAS NOT a store brand. Tradewinds was the importer in Washington that handled Husqvarnas before S&W became the importer and Kricos after that. They were not a large importer with a large marketing/sales staff, so Tradewinds rifles aren't evenly distributed across the whole U.S. There seem to be lots more Tradewinds rifle in the northwestern U.S. then anywhere east of the Mississippi River.

Jeff

Sorry, The Montgomery Wards near me carried them in the 1960's. I grew up in NY, NY.
"Tradewinds imported a similar rifle with a more modern safety system in the late 1960's. The rifle is very similar to the modern CZ Model 550 Safari Magnum. CZ currently offers an American style Model 550 chambered in 9.3X62."

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jpat: The Montgomery Wards store brands for firearms and ammunition were "Western Field", "Hawthorne", and "Hiawatha". If they ever used "Tradewinds" I haven't run across it, though it is certainly possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek is correct. Wards "house brand" guns were ALWAYS branded with the "Western Field", "Hawthorne", and "Hiawatha" brands. If Wards sold Tradewinds firearms, they weren't special order "house brand" firearms, just firearms from Tradewinds' standard inventory products. Tradewinds was no more a "house brand" then High-Standard, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Savage, or Winchester were.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, Now I know Tradewinds was a name brand import, and I know that Monty Wards used Western Field, Hawthorne, and Hiawatha on their store brand guns back in the good old days when you could order them straight through the wishbook. But I also seem to recall Tradewinds being a Monty Wards brand; although not sure if it applied to firearms or not? Perhaps bikes, tents etc?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had one in 22-250 i purchased for 125$. a friend wanted it bad so i sold it. Later when i sighted in I was not happy for selling such and accurate little gun. It was the Krico. I believe it said made in W.Germany. Very nice trigger and clip fed. Do not loose the clip. We found one at the gunshow but it took a few yrs.Wish i had it back. ive seen a few of the Huskies in the larger calibers. they were def around back in the late 60,early 70s in the Pac.N.W.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote