THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Opinions please... small bore cartridge of choice.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Opinions please... small bore cartridge of choice.
 Login/Join

posted
I will follow along with some of the other good folk. I am partial to the 257AI as you can see from my handle. My other favorite cartridge is the 6.5x55 (Must be my norwegian heritage) They are both great calibers and will do equally well on deer. The 257 AI shoots a little flatter but the 6.5x55 will handle a little heavier bullet. Been shotting the 6.5 since 1974 and have both of my brother-in-laws shooting it now. My one brother-in-law figures that a box of ammo is worth about 10 deer and 5 coyotes. I keep him supplied with ammo and he lets me hunt on the place.

Posts: 13 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
260 Rem.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another 260 Rem vote

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the purposes you mentioned, I believe I could find bliss in the arms of any of the following:

.250 AI (which I have and like)
.25-284
.260 Rem (which I have and like)
6.5-284

I would be wary of the .257 Roberts or 6.5x55 in a short action. Some say it works well, but I had a 6mm Remington on a 700 short action, and didn't like the way it fed. It actually feeds better as a .250 AI than it did in it's factory cartridge.

John

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote