THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22/250s on a Springfield action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22/250s on a Springfield action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there ever built a 22/250 on a Springfield 1903 A 3 action?

I have been getting this bug, but yet want it to be on a classic action instead of the typical, Rem/Winch/Ruger action.

Looking at the 22/250 or even considering a 219 Zipper or Wasp just to really be the retro to 1930s varminting, the Golden Ages.

Cheers and Good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to build a short action cartridge on a long action. Not that it can't be done- it just creates a lot of work. Take a look at a 220 Howell, or a 22/6mm with a 9 twist barrel and shoot 75gr A-max, either one will function through the existing mag box.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I checked out your web site, nice stuff.

The only reason is the rifle, it just happens to be a long action

I single load my varmint cartridge anyway. I am just having a desire to have some older classic actions instead of modern Winchester, Remington, Rugers in my guncloset.

Kind of like restoring a 52 Chevy Pick Up for your daily driver over a new Toyota or something. The older I get the more I think like this.

Cheers and Good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say go for it.If you single load feeding won't be an issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have one of these, picked it up at a gun show in NC back in the 80s. It's my first, and only, centerfire varmint rifle. 1903A3 action, heavy barrel about 26 inches long, beavertail forearm and target style stock, JW Fecker 10X fixed power scope in external adjustment mounts. The rifle is nicely accurate with the reloads I was using, which were nowhere near max for 55 grain bullets. Never shot it beyond 100 yards on paper (will remedy that this summer when time permits), but did use it to nail a crow at 220 of my paces. I don't think I ever filled up the magazine, just put in one round at a time and closed the bolt. The scope slides forward in those ancient external mounts every time I fire it, so you have to pull the scope back after each shot. Probably not the most ideal setup, but a nicely accurate gun that only set me back $250 at the time (a BIG deal to an 18 year old). I did have thoughts recently about having it rebarreled to 6mm-06 with a lighter weight barrel, ditching the target stock for something else, and getting rid of that Unertl-like fixed scope. Or I could just enjoy it as is...Wink

As a side note, are those old fixed power non-internal adjustment scopes worth anything to collectors? Just curious, as I have never really seen them for sale at gun shows...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reb,

some of those old scopes can be. some are just bought by guys like me because they look cool or will look cool on something in the closet.

If you rebarrel that rifle, and want to go to a slimmer stock, I would be interested in that target stock. I was going to put a Boyd's Laminate Grey one on it, but I also like something that is older and traditional.

sounds like your rifle is what i had in mind to make./

cheers and good shooting seafire

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I like your.257 long neck design on the necked down .260 case. Can you really seat the bullet out as far as you show with the short action?Do you have a similar cartridge in 6.5?

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
johnnyreb,
Those Fecker and Unertl scopes are worth more every day. If you re-barrel that 03-A3 I would be interested in your take off as I have an 03-A3 action that is unemployed and looking for work. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim and Seafire,

Plans for my 22-250 Springfield are either WAY down the line, or will never happen. I have other things that need attention long before I could/would do anything to that rifle...

1. get my reloading bench set up in my new house in PA in June
2. sight in my TC Encore 209x45 for deer season this year in PA
3. purchase a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel for the same Encore for deer hunting in MD
4. get dies, primers and brass for my 404 Jeffery

Too many guns, not enough time. But that is not a bad thing...Wink

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnnyreb

The fecker should easily fetch from $200-500 depending on objective size. Tht 3/4" are the least money and the 1 1/2" command the most. If you want to get rid of it, pm me as I'm not that far from you.

turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turfman,

Where are you located? I currently live in Bedminster NJ, but am moving next month to Mount Bethel PA (south of the Poconos/Stroudsburg area on route 611). Which shooting ranges do you frequent?

Johnnyreb