Find
Notify
Tools

Based on the 45-100 case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I can't find anything like this, but I'm pondering a series of cartridges based on the 2.6" 45-10 case. Starline brass is suitable for high pressure loads, so strength shouldn't be an issue.

Leave the overall length at 2.6", but neck to .375, 9.3mm, .358, .338. I'd like to add some more pop to the 9.3x74R, and I think using this case would allow a nice power increase. While I'm at it, the other calibers would be cool to have also. Of course, this would be for single shot and double rifles only. It would be nice to have a readily available, large capacity rimmed case to start with, and this is the only one I can think of. The 45-70 and 444 Marlin fall short in capacity, as does the 9.3x74R. The 348 Win case is too short. The 375 Flanged would be ok, but it can be hard to get, and is more expensive than the 45-100.

Has this been done already? Any reasons why it would not work well?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Captian Sir,

Get a hold of Huntington's and get the 2.8 inch brass instead. You can always trim it back and it will give you a little more case to play with. Plus, it may be better quality than Starline. They used to have what they called the 45 RCBS Basic but I'm not sure what they call it now. Talk to Buzz or Fred Jr and they can help you pick what is right.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to have a reamer in 458 RCBS Basic, and I believe it is 45-120 size.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
45/120 RCBS

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote