New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 338-300 ultra
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine broke, split them half way up the threads, two full length resizing dies when he attempted to use 300 rem ultra mag brass in place of 404 jeffery brass. He was loading for his 338 Hart at the time and the dies were cut for the jeffrey demensions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He there Dan;

Ya you know like it is, the more gun's the less choice.
I think it would be a nice project.
The 500 ,well it's rocking , the dentist like's it.
Bill managed to finish it before he left,it won't feed right from the left rail and I may have to send it to Mr Leeper for that.
It's a 602 in it's original ( heavy re enforced) stock it has been holding up OK so far +/- 300 full power rounds.
The Pac Nor barrel (parallel lead) has a brake on it the gun weighs 10 lbs and kicks like a mule.
10 rnd's max off the bench.
Since it will never see Africa it is now just the biggest gun in town gun.
It's a great gravel and cutline maker,I shot in to the bush with full metal jacked it went through 4 20" pine's and if the rocky's did't stop it it's now in BC.
I shoot it mostly with 550 gr cast because i can't afford the bullets it's fun.
I am sending a FN action to Mr. Leeper this week to have it barreled to 350 Rem Mag so that's first,then later it is on to the 360.
Hope you are doing well
Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Santala:
I am glad to see your responce because I was wondering if I would need to put a brake on the gun.
I would like to have the gun build with a octagon barrel and a brake would not look cool on that.
So you say if I keep the weight around 10 lbs it would not be to bad?
Where would you put the recoil ?:say a 375 H&H a in a 10 1/4 lbs Ruger or 416 Rigby in 10lbs, if you figure no more than these I will go without the brake.
On the resizing of the RUM brass why did you go with the 300 brass?
I used the 375 because I found that if I size it down I am still .002" less in wall thickness compared to the Imp brass,mind you I only have one case to compare with.
How does the 300 in that department?
Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Archer:
I will keep a eye on that for sure so far using the 360 dies all seems well I can's say I can feel unusual pressure when I work them in the press maybe the imps are a little looser we will see
Regards martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say a brake on an octagon would be quite original, if you could find someone to mschine it to the barrel. And I'm not all that fond of brakes.
Give it a thought.
As for recoil, my gun will be about 10# loaded up, and full-house loads will hit around 50 ft lb.
The H&H would be right around 35-40 or so. Much depends on your stock design and recoil pad, as you probably know.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

They will all perform somewhat similarly, but the improved versions (like the Imperial Mag) will have a slight edge.
There's also the Yogi and I think Tomahawk (but maybe that's 308?), which are on the improved Ultra case.

Bwana-be

The Yogi is based on the 338 Lapua case, Dave Tooley's improved design. He has a 338 and a 300 Yogi both.

The Tomahawk has been made in 338 and 300 both as well. It's simply a 300 Ultra Mag case with a 35 degree shoulder, headspaces off the bottom of the neck, holds 1-2gr more than the 300 Ultra is all, hardly an advantage. The 338 version has a better increase using the Ultra case as you'd imaging. Ray Romain in Pa. does the Tomahawk's.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you Martin. Incidentally, isn't the Tomahawk based on Lazzeroni's own brass design (which is damn close to 416 rigby cases), not the ultra? - dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

You're also correct. Lazz has a Tomahawk as well, and it is larger diameter than the Ultra, the shorty version though, like the WSM's. Their long version is the 338 Titan. I'm not sure of the base diameter, close to the Rigby tho. The Tomahawk I refered to is just one that's based on the 7mm, 300 or 375 length Ultra case.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks for the info. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote