Find
Notify
Tools

25/08 carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted
would like to hear anyones thoughts on a 18.5" heavy varmint barrel in 25/08 for a combo varmint and paper puncher.

arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Look up the specs on the 25 Souper, I don't know how much difference the shorter barrel will make.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
fjold, done that, i know i will loose some velocity, i'm estimating 50 feet per inch of barrel length. based on that info i may up the barrel to 20". i can always cut some off later but can't put it back.

thanks arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that you will have a tremendous amount of muzzle blast at 18.5". I used to have a 250 Sav with an 18" barrel and also one with a 25" barrel. The 25" barrel was 250fps faster with the same load. I would start a little long- like you said you can cut it off, but it is really hard to add it back once removed.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I echo Duane's comments. You should shoot a gun (243, 7mm08, 308, ect.) with a 18" bbl and see if you like it. There is a significant difference in muzzle blast between 18" and 22" or longer !!! I shoot a 25-08AI with 24" bbl and really like it.

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote