Find
Notify
Tools

17 K Hornet... anyone play ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum Wheel Man
posted
I have an old factory 10" octogon Contender barrel I bought years ago, as part of my Contender collection... well my local "builder / buddy" decided to start building Contender barrels this year, & on his list was a smaller 17... he chose the 17 Akley Hornet... since we shoot together, & not remembering specifically what my little 17 was chambered as, I pulled out my Kiborn Hornet barrel... we found out his fire forming loads would chamber & fire form to my Kilborn chamber... so now I found a setof dies that should work for my 'lil Hornet... so I'll be starting to load for it this winter... I'm trying to decide right now, if I want to wait for Midway to get new unfired Winchester brass in stock, or to go agead & order new Remington brass ( I want new brass without the crimp groove, as it should increase case life, rather than using once fired with a deep crimp groove... as thin as the Hornet brass is ) currently all my 22 Hornet brass is Remington, & thought if I used Winchester for all the 17 Hornet, it would give just one more difference between the 17 hornet & the 22 Hornet cases ???

anyway, my buddy built a carbine Contender barrel for 17 Ackley Hornet, mine is a 10" barrel in 17 Kilborn Hornet... so I'm not sure we could share receipes with similar results... the K Hornet has the shoulder moved forward about 1/8" or so more, so may hold a few grains more powder ???

anyone shoot either carbine length barrel, or pistol length barrel in 17 K Hornet ???

Posts: 51 | Location: southern Minnesota | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 17 Ackley and a 17 K as in Kimber hornet. I've always thought a maxed out 17 Hornet case would be fun but with the limited powders that work well in it I'm not sure how much faster it would be if any. I would go with the Ackley simply because dies are readily availble. Any way you go you'll find the 17 Hornets to be a real hoot. Lil'Gun has been powder of choice in them. Good luck.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 hornet, not a 17K and I am no 22 Hornet expert.

Have you considered Prvi Partizan 22 Hornet brass? I have shot some of there ammo. I think there brass is just as good as the Remington and Winchester, I have played with.

One of Us
Picture of Magnum Wheel Man
posted Hide Post
I also have several 22 Hornets, which I've never loaded for ( yet )... & my barrel was already in 17 K Hornet, so I'm just trying to move something from collect only, to shooter... my buddy chose to do up his barrel in 17 Ackley Hornet... but I got lucky in that his fire form loads would fit in my chamber, & fire formed in my barrel, so I could get accurate chamber dimensions...so that I could get dies... Which I ordered from CH Tool & Die / 4D custom dies

Posts: 51 | Location: southern Minnesota | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With Quote