Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a wildcat
 Login/Join

posted
Hi every one I would like to try a wildcat. But dont want to get something thats all most the same as i have.I have a 240 WBY, 22-250 Encore 300 Win Mag & 6mm Rem 700. I will get the wildcat for the encore.What i would like to do is get a synthetic stock an about a 18" or so barrel to keep the weight down. I had thought about using the one of the single shot pistol bullets to make up for the short barrel. I will use the gun for deer. 200 yd shots max but im open to any ideas an cal. Thanks for your time.

Posts: 1 | Location: W Va | Registered: 31 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might just try Gary Reeder's site and check out his 41 caliber wildcats for the encore. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
350 rem mag!!
you can load pistol bullets that are devastating on coyotes up to 250's which will pound the snot out of you in that light rifle. by the way, if you go to a 20" or 22" you would be far better of. the muzzle blast will be brutal in a 18" barrel. plus, the weight you might lose is next to nothing and the encore is short anyway so a 22" barrel will be as long as a 18" bolt gun...
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358-348 Imp!!
Check it out. It will work great with that short barrel, though I'd still add a couple more to it.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For the Encore; I would suggest that you look at SSK Industries and Gary Reeders sites. Aso take a look at the Hak cartridges. There is plenty to look at and you will be able to develope your ideas better by looking at these places.

Hve a good time.

Dave

Posts: 11 | Location: Rose Hill, Ks. | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that the local shop did specifically for like the xp100's and stuff, shorter barrels, a 375x350rem mag. Just necked it up and it performed well.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
308x1.5 Barnes.Rick.

Posts: 8 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with r d Smith. The 308x1.5 Barnes is an outstanding round in the pistol length hunting rigs. It will give you 90% of a full length 308 vel. with about half the powder. I have an XP100 in 308x1.5 and it shoots better than I can hold it. My old Ram load is 30 grs. BLC2 topped with a 190 Hornady at 2000 fps. never lost a Ram that I hit. The 130 Hornady SP at 2350fps will hit deer very hard. Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ter, I have had excellent results with AA 2015 and IMR-4198. I use the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip and have taken over 50 Whitetails with this rig. Rem 600 action, 20" Hart barrel, unknown fiberglass stock and Timney trigger.Rick.

Posts: 8 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote