New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel twist rate for 6-250AI?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a 6-250 Ackley Improved (40 deg shoulder) that will be primarily used for varminting, but i will also dabble in a little 100 to 300 yard bench rest with it.

Barrel will be a stainless #7, 26" long, action is a Howa.

I'm guessing i will run projectiles around the 70 to 80 grain class for hunting purposes, as for target shooting i am yet to settle on a particular weight or projectile type, so this side of it is yet to be determined.

I was thinking 1-12 or 1-14 so far, but after reading another thread on here about a 6-284 with faster twists being suggested got me thinking, though i do realize the 6-250AI will not get the speeds the 6-284 will get and most likely not need the same twist barrel.

Thanks in advance.
Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.6mmbr.com
They offer a section on the 6BR improved and the 6XC

I'm building a straight 6-250 8"twist, looking to use the Sierra 105's for 100yd BR and 300yd. prone matches.

Wake up everyday and try harder.

Posts: 174 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate.

After talking to my barrel manufacturer and having a yarn regarding what bullet weights i want to run we decided that a 1-12 would most likely suit my needs the best.

Paz

The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paz, I have a 6/250AI 40 deg, on a trued Rem 700, A Shilen 8" twist 26" long No7 profile. This rifle shoots very well with light 75 gn and heavy 105gn proj.
For varminting I use both proj and they both work great, just different trajectories and wind deflection, both hit hard at 300yds.
With 75gn I get around 3345fps and with the 105 I get around 2750 to 2850fps. These are relativly mild loads.
I think you will enjoy this cartridge, I've had mine for 15 years and still enjoy using it. On it's 4th barrel. I've had 14",12", 10" and 8" twists and would definately say the select match 8"twist is my preference, they all shot accurately, the 8 is more versatile.

Posts: 61 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn X-Rings, you have now put a fly in my ointment as to what twist i need, specially since you have real world experience with the calibre.

I am going to use a Maddco barrel and it was he who said i would be better off with a 1-12.

Will shoot you a pm tu2.

Paz

Colonel Townsend Whelen