One of Us
posted
Recently came accross this.

http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA433982&Lo...=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Anybody seen or done anything similar?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! Somebody just spent a couple hundred thousand dollars to reinvent the 22-15-60 Stevens cartridge, and forgot to put the rim on it this time out! I will go waaaaay out on a limb and predict adoption somewhere around the time pigs fly. Or a week later.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a vaguely related note: I did have a wildcat FL length 9mm/.358" diameter straight walled version of the .223 case built about twenty years ago for an AR. It was pretty cool, we shot 125gr JHP Speer bullets designed for the 357 Magnum about 2200fps. The biggest hassle was getting the gas regulation figured out. About zero taper, the thing was too fussy for me after the novelty wore off.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Dang! Somebody just spent a couple hundred thousand dollars to reinvent the 22-15-60 Stevens cartridge, and forgot to put the rim on it this time out! I will go waaaaay out on a limb and predict adoption somewhere around the time pigs fly. Or a week later.

Rich
DRSS

Yeah right. Other than physical size maybe, the Stevens round isn't even anywhere close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster, craigster...

get somebody to proof read your post.
"...Other than physical size maybe, the Stevens round isn't even close.". Right church, wrong pew!

That's the whole point, the two cases are very close in dimensions other than oal case length. The paper purposely omits any dimensional data, but just printing out the page with the two cases is a dead giveaway if you can read a mike and do simple interpolation RE size. The Stevens is .240" longer, and it's data is 15 grains of black powder and a 60 grain bullet. Substitute the smokeless powder charges for black and the ballistics are likely identical. The Stevens is a rimmed case, and this wunderkind is rimless. It would have to headspace on the casemouth, and the production tolerances would be a nightmare.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich, now tell something I didn't already know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OKAY, but you asked...

The inside of a circle is exactly three times the radius...

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a simular cartridge..As I recall it was a 2.5" .410 shotgun brass case..It worked fairly well on rabbit up real close. stir

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41948 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I currently have five in use among friends family and customers 223 necked straigt out and cut of at 1.5 338 bullets 160 gr x 2400 fps from a 14 in bbl works great and is desighned as a straight barrel only replacement for a 223 curently have remingtons cz and an ar going in this I have 5000 pieces of correct headstamp brass on order sence 2006 no luck yet on getting it in. they have been well used for hunting and shooting.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote