Notify
Tools

.277/300 Win Mag....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Hey Guys,

I know a guy that has a custom .277/300 Win Mag. I didn't really get into the details of the rifle w/ him but, I did gather that it was a real screamer.

Any of you have any experience w/ this cart.?

How about the accuracy?

What twist on the tube?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,
I can't answer your questions but I would look up 270 Arnold after the now defunct Arnold Arms. They had what they called "thier own line" of cartridges. One of them was a 300 Win. Mag. necked down to .227.
I quess it was a screamer. I had talked with one of the Arnold's in Seatle. The 270 Arnold was his favorite.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have toyed around with the idea of a 270 stw which would be close to a 270-300 winny. If i was going to build that i would go with a 28 inch tube with a 1-10 twist. Should be an awesome long range thumper.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader - I too have no direct dealings with this cartridge idea; however, I'm very familiar with some similar creations and they all suffer the same maladies. This wildcat would inherit a few extra problems of its own.

Every caliber there is reaches a "point of diminishing returns," i.e. that point where you NOT ONLY start getting less and less results for your investment of gun powder...but you start reaping NEGATIVE effects. More blast. More recoil. Shortened barrel life. Shortened case life. Increased cost per round. And quite likely less accuracy.

The 300 WSM case had the additional problem of having a very short neck, requiring that bullets of any weight be seated very deeply down into the case and into the powder mass. With the long slender .277 bullets, I suspect this issue would be aggrevated.

What your friend calls "a screamer" is most likely more of a "muzzle blaster" than any great cartridge. The "scream" most likely is in his head after each shot.

Keep in mind that the original 270 Winchester cartridge is ALREADY at or slightly beyond the point of diminishing returns, meaning there are smaller wildcats that will virtually duplicate 270 ballistics and do it with less of the negatives posted above.

I know there are shooters who get really upset with anyone who challenges their notion that burning an extra 20 grains of powder to squeeze out an extra 100 fps is somehow worth it. But this practice has never made sense to me. It's been more of a tool of the Madison Avenue advertising firms to sucker the uninformed into buying new rifles than anything practical IMHO.

The legendary P.O. Ackley, who created and built more wildcat cartridges than anyone, freely admitted the vast majority of them ranged from "bad to worthless." (His words)

Not every cartridge that has the term "Improved" in its name is really improved.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think your money would be better used on another cartridge. Let your friend keep his "screamer."

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What are the chances that you can get the details from the guy with the 277/300 win mag?

I did some home work and that cartridge shows promise because the .300 win mag has the most case capacity in the 30-06 length class. (yea dakota has more capacity, but brass too expensive)

Bonedaddy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a 270/300 Win Mag. wildcat doing anything that the .270 Weatherby doesn't already do. Just MHO though.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long throating the 300 will turn it into a different animal
capable of doing a whole lot more. I would imagine necking one to 270 and going to a long throat, (with bullets seated to just kiss) would make a 140 Accubond sing at 3,500 fps.
With its .496 BC this would be a long range beast capable of going beyond the normal distance.

Worth looking into...

btw some call it the 270 Yukon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Except have really good brass available from Norma, Lapua, All the major makers...

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own a .270-300 Win Mag. In fact its on the way back from PacNor. Even with a 25 yr old barrel (bought it used) with throat erosion it would stack 3 out of 5 rounds at 100. I had to work up loads using .270 weatherby and .300 win mag data, which produced 3300 fps with 150 gr hornady SST in front of 79.8 gr of Magnum. I finally got ahold of the smith that built it and he told me to stop d!ckin around and load the ba$tard (he built himself one for New Zealand red deer) like man. He won the wimbledon cup in '76 so i listened. Its a killer for sure. Last season, all one shot stops, buck traveled the furthest 27 paces, downhill.
White Tail buck- 281 yards
Mule Deer doe X 2- 170 yards, 185 yards
Bull Elk- 15 yards (im sneaky too)
White Tail doe- 385 yards

I was impressed with the terminal ballistics on every occasion, but I warn to miss the meat if you intend on eating it. the white tail doe lost both shoulders, not even enough left for stew.

Consistency equals accuracy

Posts: 17 | Location: Here and There, mostly there | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos41:
What your friend calls "a screamer" is most likely more of a "muzzle blaster" than any great cartridge. The "scream" most likely is in his head after each shot. I think your money would be better used on another cartridge. Let your friend keep his "screamer."

quote:
Originally posted by Kingfisher:
I can't imagine a 270/300 Win Mag. wildcat doing anything that the .270 Weatherby doesn't already do.

quote:
Originally posted by towedjumper2:
I own a .270-300 Win Mag.

White Tail doe- 385 yards

I warn to miss the meat if you intend on eating it. the white tail doe lost both shoulders, not even enough left for stew.

I think the same applies to the 264 and 7mm Mags. Mess up a lot of meat, scream in your head. I think the muzzel blast is real, the actual performance mostly imaginary. If I had to have one of these screamers, it would surely not be a 270 wildcat - very last choice. Get a 264, 7mm Rem or Weatherby. If you just have to have a 270 magnum get a weatherby vanguard.

Why not a 257 Weatherby, if you just have to have a cartridge with imaginary performance, a lot of boom, impress your friends with a magnum pea shooter. Roy invented that cartridge, and spent a lot of money on hype, just for folks like you. The condition is commonly referred to as magnumitus.

Condolences,

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The legendary P.O. Ackley, who created and built more wildcat cartridges than anyone, freely admitted the vast majority of them ranged from "bad to worthless." (His words)

And yet the man continued to design and experiment. If it werent for men like him we wouldnt be having any sort of discussion about wildcat rounds, our minds would be filled with common cartridge data, no exploring, no experimenting, no spending huge amounts of time, money, or energy on a seemingly meaningless pursuit as we do now.
My father has a Remington 700 .30-06 that he bought for 55 dollars in 1974, used. He doesnt want another rifle, wouldnt take an offered .270 weatherby. Claims the .30-06 will do exactly what he wants, when he wants, still shoots more accurately than he is capable of shooting. The point is, there is no true NEED for any of these new and improved rounds, its us that WANT to do this. Does one need a different caliber to shoot white tails vs muley's? does one need a different cartridge to shoot goats vs sheep? does one need a sub 1/2 MOA rifle for Elk? Apparently when it comes to cartridges, calibers, powder, primers, cases, rifles, WANT is the mother of all invention, curtailed only by a lack of funds.
I know this funds part too well. I started reloading to save myself money on .223 and 9mm ammo. so far its cost me over 3 grand and i have only been reloading for two years. No sign of letting up or breaking even as of yet.

Consistency equals accuracy

Posts: 17 | Location: Here and There, mostly there | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote