Find
Notify
Tools

6/250?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted
In looking at various cases recently it seems to me that a 6mm case formed by necking down the .250 Savage case should be an interesting cartridge kind of being an intermediate case between the PPC and the .243 and .244 cases (which I think one could say seem a little overbore and that really short neck on the .243 seems a poor choice to use with the generally lengthy 6mm bullets).

I'm sure it's been done - how good of a cartridge is a "6/250"? (or .240 Savage?)

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Necking the 250 Savage down to 6mm was done a long while back and made for a pretty well balanced cartridge.

I am working strictly from memory here, but it seems to me that the bench rest crowd did this many years back. I think it was called the 6mm International and was popular for a brief period.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge has made a return to Highpower shooting, albiet in a modified form, as the 6mmX. There is information and load data HERE.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Whew! That 6mmX looks like too much work! I'd just neck down a .250 case and be done with it, wouldn't you?

I remember seeing articles on the 6mm international in Guns & Ammo many years ago.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course it would be easy to push a .22-250 thru a 6mm-250 die, but what would be the fun in that?
Actually I think it is a excellent little round, plenty of velocity but not a barrel burned like the 243.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We converted my wife's Rem 700 into a 6mm/250. Hers is a straight neck up of the 22/250. Pushes 65 gr Vmax along at 3500 fps. Mild to shoot, and very accurate.

Chamber was cut with a mix n'match of a 22/250 reamer for the body and shoulder, and a 6*47 for the neck. 22/250 go/ no go gauges were used.

Dies were really easy. A Redding 22/250 body die for those times when you need to push the shoulder back - the hole in the middle is just big enough to take the neck. Neck sizing is done with a Redding type S 22/250, with a .261 bushing. I found I had a couple of dies that could do the bullet seating, but a Hornady generic seems to work just fine.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
There are actually two 6-250 Sav cartridges. The original was a straight neck down of the 250-300 and was called the 6mm International. Mike Walker at Remington pushed the shoulder back a little and used it extensively in BR competetion. That version was the 6mm Remington International. They were available in the 40X BR models and I've seen one factory barrelled M-788 in it, but suspect it was a fake done at the factory with a 40X barrel.

Both are great calibers and will kill a deer stone dead......I've done several of them using old 70 grain Speer bullets and H-322 in the Remington version.

I have a Clymer 6 Rem Int finisher with a standard (.277) neck that I could be traded out of if somebody is interested. It did one chamber about 1970.