New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS says no record of...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I acquired a 3-die set marked "O6 TO 25 L&W SU" and wears the date code "C" stamp (1952 production). RCBS says they have no remaining record of this wildcat caliber.
What is (was) this one, and can anyone assist in the proper use?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make a Cerro-safe cast of the sizer and take the dimensions. At least you'd know what you have. Not necessarily what the initials mean, but you could figure out the parent case, volume, bullet diameter and then calculate velocities for various bullet weights.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a funny way of saying 25-06, doesn't it?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does sound like whe 25-06 when it was in the WILDCAT stage of development?Remington did not legitimize the round untill 1969.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Start with a .270 case and full length size it in your die in question. That will be a desent start and easy to do. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does sound like the early 25-06...
The L&W still is puzzling tho`. At least I have a place to start now. Thanks for the input!

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'd tend to agree with the others that your first step should be to start by getting some inside dimensions on the sizing die. The suggestions of cerrosafe and sizing a case both sound like pretty good places to start. It very well could have been a pre-standardized 25-06, but that is way I think that getting some specs will be your best bet, because even if it is it wasn't STANDARDIZED and may vary a little from the commercial 25-06 Rem. Within the last year I took in an old GEW 98 Mauser barrel stamped "25 sniper" and the gun shop owner told me that it should be no problem to "open it up to a 25-06 chamber" well I didn't want to do that anyway, but it would not have been that easy. Turns out it was one of the 25-06 predicessor which was based on a full length 30-06 case with less body taper and a different shoulder than the 25-06 Rem. Just goes to show you that without solid measurements you never really know what you've got!

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

It does sound like whe 25-06 when it was in the WILDCAT stage of development?Remington did not legitimize the round untill 1969.

Might be some kind of an "improved" .25/06, MAYBE. The wildcat early .25/'06 was usually known as the .25/'06 Neidner, however. There are also a few .25's using the .30/40 Krag case.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be the L&W is the designer of the case. Since it wasn't a standard case a guy could name it anything he wants. An attempt at fame perhaps?

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A.O.Niedner,was the WILDCATTER to the 25-06 in 1920.He necked down a 30-06 shell to do it.But the WILDCATTING of the 25,goes back a long time.We have the,25,Krag,25-303,250/3000 Ackley Improved.And many other WILDCATTERS we will never hear of.I think the WILDCATTING of the 25cal,goes back to 1909 or pre that time.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote